loosening mounting bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavenstumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HELP! Need help getting the engine mounting bolts loose to change the belts on my 98 Rayco RG20HD. I was able to loosen all but one using a combination of sockets with universal extension and wrenches. The last nut is infront of the engine under the starter. It looks like the cooling fins of the engine have an opening to allow a socket to fit but its too shallow to accept the socket and the wrench. Socket alone goes on nice but not enough room to accept the socket wrench. Not enough clearance between the fins to get a wrench in. Tried 3 different wrenches all too thick. I can't believe Kohler would make you remove the starter to loosen the mounting bolt. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions maybe that I didn't think of yet? pic below

http://www.geocities.com/stavenstumper/nut3.JPG

While not recommended, you could knock off a little piece of the cooling fin, and use a wrench to loosen it.

I can't see how the box ond of a decent 12 point wrench wouldn't fit. Even Craftman is making some good thinwall wrenches these days. Load it up and bring it over, I'll get the bolt out then you can give me a price on a few stumps (not TOO far out of your way. LOL)

Thanks for the offer sedanman. But, it's a bit of a hike.

Not sure of the points on the wrenches but one set is craftsman (probably 40 years old), and a new Husky (home depot). The last set was free when I bought something, (don't really remember what). I'm off to Lowes to see what they have in wrenches before I resort to cutting fins. Thanks...

Thin open end should get in there, had a similiar bolt problem at first with my 1625A. Once I got them out I turned a few over to make it easier next time. Use new lock washers and new nylon lock nuts when you put it all back together. good luck.

take the starter out..do what you have to do, then put the starter back in...how hard can it be????

I found the right tool. 3/8 drive breaker bar. allows you to have the socket and the handle at about 130 degee angle to fit over nut the bend back to 90 degree to loosen.

Back