Lopi Leyden or Endeavor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noslo65

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
I have been reading up on wood stoves for quite some time now. I have never owned a wood burning appliance. I started cutting, and splitting wood this winter to make sure this was something I wanted to do. Now that I discovered that I enjoy the work it is time to install a stove. We visited our local Lopi dealer today. They seem to make some nice stoves. My wife likes the cast and enamel Leyden. I prefer the Endeavor. I like the steel stove, and the tighter clearances. Only 4.5 inches to the back on the Endeavor. Does anyone else have any experience with these stoves. One more thing. The clearances to unprotected combustibles means just that right? I can have this stove 4.5 inches from the wall ( drywall ) with double wall connector correct?

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
The endeavor is a nice stove, thats mine in my avatar. It puts out plenty of heat for our 1982 2000' ranch but we live in a fairly mild climate. Jan-Feb we can dip into the twenties at night with low to mid thirties during the day. I can easily get an 8hr burn and wake up to a 70deg house in the morning and if your burning seasoned wood the glass stays clean.

My only complaint with it is the paint. After two years it's already burning off in a couple places but I'll admit I've gotten it pretty hot a couple times. They sell the paint and it should be easy enough to touch up I'm just surprised at how soon it needs it.

Noslo65

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
The endeavor seems heavy, and should hold up. That is what I look for. My wife is after looks. She likes the enamled Leyden. So am I correct about the clearances on the Endeavor? Can I put Durock, then cultured stone right over my drywall. Then I was going to build a raised hearth with metal studs, Durock, then cultured hearth stones ( 20 in x 20 in stones ). The flue I will use double wall then into double wall insulted in the attic. I will have the flue installed by pros.

Last edited:
ircr450

ircr450

I have always had good luck with Lopi stoves. I have owned both the endeavor and the bigger Liberty. Absolutely no complaints with the endeavor, although the Liberty I have found a design flaw. After the fourth season the welds in the back have started to seperate reducing the efficiancy of the stove. I used to get all night burns with seasoned wood now I'm lucky to have a few coals left. I contacted Lopi and they have said they would rebuild the stove free of charge, but are very unorganized about following through with it.

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
From Lopi's website:

"It has the biggest
and cleanest-burning firebox of any medium-size stove, yet offers the closest clearance of any wood stove in
the industry — only 4 1/2" inches to a combustible surface."

That was to the back wall, the installation specs listed 6 1/2" to a side wall. Still I would ask your dealer what they recommend.

WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
You don't say how big a house your heating, how well insulated or what your winters are like...That said

I heat 100% with wood, fir, tamarack, pine and some fruit wood, using a Lopi Endeavor, heating a 2000 sq. ft, ranch style, in eastern Washington where we typically have 20* and below for about 4 to six weeks. House is only average on insulation. Those really cold days , O* or below I wish i had the next size bigger unit. The Lopi has been a good stove BUT, I would not buy it or any other stove again that does not have an ash cleanout drawer...an get the circulating fan on what ever you get...

Good luck

Last edited:
Noslo65

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
I have a 1900 sf ranch style house, very open floor plan with 8 ft ceilings, 2x6 walls with fiberglass insulation. We use between 800, 900 gallons of propane for the whole year. We live in central Illinois. It can get pretty cold.

chuckp

chuckp

ArboristSite Member
Endeavor

I've been using my Lopi Endeavor for quite a few years now. Nice stove, but the tray below the door is a real design flaw. Its too high. I also have a quadrafire stove and I like the quad much better. It is designed much better.
With the Lopi, everytime I open the door, ashes or burn wood chunks spill on the tray. If you try to ram the door closed, all you do is wreck the gasket. You have to sweep the tray clean. No problem with the quadrafire though. The tray is mounted much lower .

bluequill56

bluequill56

ArboristSite Operative
I was going to upgrade my Lopi Sheffield (I like it, its just too little) to the Leyden. Ended up not doing it because of the clearance issue. You've got to have that thing very far away from the wall. Plus, it's large for the firebox size. Good looking stove, though. I would go for the Endevour, but got shot down due to asthetics (wife didn't like the look). Too bad. Great stove, and reasonable clearances.

Latest posts