Loss of a champion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fallen giant

May sound silly but when I hear of a giant that has failed I go out and plant a tree
todays tree was a black oak. quercus kellogii
may it live on

frans:angel:

I know that perspective thing. The trees I worked on at MCC were huge. I would look at an American elm with a honeylocust and Norway maple next to it. I would consistantly underestimate the "smaller" trees because they're next to these monsters. I started imagining a two story house next to them to give me some perspective.

It is sad, but all things alive must pass.

Here we've seen countless giants succumb, wither, drop, and rot. That's the life cycle and as much as it hurts, it's a necessary fact. Comfort comes in knowing that organisms change - the life continues as in human organ transplant donations, composting ecology, and perhaps some of the historic woody tissue of the oak becoming material reminders of it's longevity, of it's humble royalty, and it's foliage reverting back to life-allowing soil.

I often find myself at odds with disease research in plants - is what I'm doing a basic right and for who? The tree, the environment, or the man who owns the threatened ancient tree?
Finding comfort in knowing that man's activities exacerbate the epidemics we experience - delaying the ultimate death by pathogen, am I really in performance of the earth's well being or making the earth fit the proposals of mankind's designs? If the disease is an anomoly and measures can be taken to deflect it's virulance, perhaps the healthy patients give me joy - the paychecks certainly don't. Are chemical attempts to prolong a declining life really just a chemotherapeutic attempt to allow us in a self-serving desire to control and manipulate all that surrounds us?

I humble under ancient trees - trees long with life far beyond our own. The Tane Mahuta in New Zealand, the Angle Oak in S.C., the General Sherman, the Methusela, the Witch tree. Tears come to me in honor of these kings, we are little or nothing to their needs, at least until the storm hits, the viruses enter, the air quality chokes them. I guess if it's us that pose the largest immediate threat, we should try all we can to correct it.

Rest in Peace old giant, and thank you for your presense to our world.

Reed

A small story and photo made the Seattle Times. What a shame.

Wasn't the tree appraised around $50,000?

I'd like to see an accurate messurement of the tree, to see if it really weighed 200 tons, which I rather doubt. A 10 foot section of trunk 30 feet high would weigh about 70 tons, so I guess it is possible. But the tree tapered into smaller wood pretty soon. 200 tons is about 7 full size log/trash trucks worth.

The largest tree I've removed was a 9 foot at the base sequoia. It tapered quickly of course, but we got the wood in a trash truck with room to spare. The tree produced about 30-35 yards of chips, probably about 10-12 tons. The bottom 25 feet of the tree weighed 12 tons, and green sequoia weighes the same as oak, believe it or not.

Ya got me way beat. Biggest tree I ever took down was a 60 ft willow with a +6ft base. I had to plunge the 36 in bar to get the last few inches. Little passage between garage and house we had to cut stuff down to carry out. $5k job. My best sale too.

Just a toothpick for a man of your stature, eh big john!!

Li'l Rog,

but ex Paul Bunyan.....

...uh, foreman

Latest posts

Back