My History for those who care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Banned
Reaction score
This was written by my mother I believe for a local paper.

Its how we got started.

About 1 p.m. on Friday, June 5, 1998 Robert Rutherford along with his wife, Angela and son, Carl had just finished cleaning the house and yard in preparation for a Senior Party to be held that evening at their home. Party honorees were Eric Ballard, Rocky Pugh and Matt Fondren of New Hope. Once everything seemed to be in place the trio planned a few minutes of relaxing before starting to prepare the evening’s menu.

Just a few moments after sitting down in the living room Angela fell asleep in her chair. Her nap only lasted a couple minutes before she was jolted awake by Robert ordering her and Carl to get in the closet. Through the 16 feet of glass in the living room, Robert was observing the “straight line winds” as they were hitting the Rutherford’s 16-acre spread on East Minnie Vaughan Road.

Robert Rutherford and the former Angela Haynes were married in March 1981 and bought their property from Dale and Patsy Enlow on East Minnie Vaughan Road off Highway 69 South in June of that year. While living in town, Robert began working on the family’s future home site. Paul McGee assisted Robert in putting in Lake Thomas and George Sobley put in the first road into the property. In the fall of 1988 Angela’s father, the late W. T. Haynes, Jr., moved back to Columbus from the Mississippi Delta. He bought a trailer and set up housekeeping on the spread. It wasn’t until 1992 that Robert, Angela and Carl had contractor Dale McNees build their home for them. Moving day was September 2, 1992. Carl continued attending Warden Carden the year of the move but started third grade at New Hope in 1993.

That June afternoon in 1998 saw 17 years of Robert’s hard work erased in about 5 minutes as the storm took down 115 trees some of which were over a hundred years old. Fortunately no one sustained bodily injury or any real damage to the Rutherford’s home or Mr. Haynes’ trailer.

The storm’s aftermath caused approximately 500 tons of wood to be harvested. The result was about 1000 stumps littering the property. As Robert looked over the mess, Carl, who was 12 at the time, told his father that God had a reason for what had happened. Robert noted that at the time he just couldn’t see it. Out of this adversity came the birth of Rutherford Stump Service in August of that year.

After getting a price of $8,000 to grind their stumps, the Rutherfords invited Wayne Barber of Jackson, a Rayco equipment dealer, to come to Columbus and demonstrate his machine for them. In talking with Wayne it came to light that he had done work for Angela’s sister and brother-in-law, Dr. & Mrs. James L. Hughes (the former Virginia Haynes, Lee High class of 1956) in Brandon. After visiting with Wayne and his son until almost midnight, Angela showed them the guest room and said they would have to continue the discussions the following morning. At breakfast the decision was reached that the Rutherfords would purchase a stump grinding machine.

Once the machine was delivered Robert, who works full-time for ABF Freight System, worked afternoons and weekends to clean up his property. He hired out his services as well to help pay for the equipment they had purchased. Carl quickly learned how to operate the machine and how to assist his father in the business by doing maintenance on the equipment.

On December 23, 1998 Columbus was hit by an ice storm. Again, many local residents suffered tree damage. The Rutherfords were without power for two days and the storm took down 36 more trees on their little spread at New Hope.

In Jan. 2001 Robert and Carl decided to expand the business by purchasing a second machine. Angela, who is fairly adverse to risk-taking, was concerned about making such a large investment during the “off-season” but Robert decided the time was right to make the purchase. On February 16, 2001, just six weeks after the second machine, was delivered the straight-line winds again hit the Friendly City. That afternoon the Rutherfords were the only ones within five miles of their home to lose trees. While they only lost 30 trees that afternoon, much of the City of Columbus sustained major damage. And, needless to say, it was a very, very busy year for Rutherford Stump Service.

During the early years of the business Carl continued in school at New Hope where he was influenced, trained and encouraged by many, many wonderful educators. He was also fortunate to have many others outside the class room who were willing to invest their time and talents in training him to be the young man he is today. Ross & Suzanne Richardson, Jim & Renee Spinks, Dave & Liz Paine, Ira & Susie Andrews, Gary & Evelyn Carter, the late Kelly Smith, Wayne Gibson, Ron Murphey, Ron Rivers, Larry Joblin,Young Kerby, the late Howard Williams and others guided Carl from his Cub Scout years all the way through to his Eagle Scout rank which he received at the age of 14 in November 2000. Al Wise, Tom Green, Bro. Tim Williams, Doug Spitchley, Gary Permenter, Andy Cummings, Scott Wilson, Tony Gray, Brad Fleming, Randy Frederick, Sam Allison, Lynn Robinson, and others enabled Carl to have many opportunities through Scouting activities, Mt. Vernon Church activities and community service opportunities.

Carl’s love for nature and the outdoors was confirmed in August 2003 when he started Rutherford Tree Service before he even told his parents. He had discussed the possibility of having his own business but the idea wasn’t exactly enthusiastically embraced by his parents. Initially Carl would do a job and not tell his parents until he was finished. Robert and Angela were sincerely hoping Carl’s new venture would be just another passing interest. Carl’s first job was for a security guard who wanted him to clean up some overgrown bushes. Then the same gentleman asked Carl to take down a tree. While Carl was working the second job a mailman came by and asked him if he would take a look at a job for him. And as the saying goes, one thing led to another.

On May 1, 2005 Rutherford Tree Service and Rutherford Stump Service are merging to officially become Rutherford Tree And Stump Service, LLC. Carl and his father will continue to work together while Angela sticks to answering the telephone. Daniel Carter, also an Eagle Scout, is working with the company.

The Rutherford family has learned that the way things begin is not always the way they end up. As we remember that the Master Gardener’s plan is perfect, we know one day we can understand the reasons for the changes that come our way during the seasons of our lives. Recently Robert and Carl planted 3000 pine trees and 300 hardwoods on their 16 acres…and another season begins. Visit Rutherford Tree And Stump Service, LLC at rttsllc.com or email the Rutherfords at [email protected]

A cool American story. I like the part at the end about replanting; Faith in the Future!

'Tis and ill wind indeed that blows not some good!
Nice. That would fit right in with the thread on "Introductions" that Che started away back when. Maybe it should be kicked to the top again; there are some new people around that might want to give us a bit of their history.

:) This was a great way to start my morning. God does have a plan for us ..... if were quit enough to hear it.

Lumberjack,

Great post.. It is enlightening and heartwarming to see there are still hard working, honest, conservative young folks.. I see your only about 19, but it sounds like you have the maturity of someone twice your age. You remind me a bit of myself; hardworking, god fearing, respectable, legal gun toting, happy American. Now if only we could get the young gangsters and crack heads to do some hard work and get off their duffs too.

:)
Cheers,
Ron

eyeinstine said:
Now if only we could get the young gangsters and crack heads to do some hard work and get off their duffs too.

I'd settle for some hard work from some of these overpriveleged under challenged spoiled brats of the suburban neighborhoods.

Nice post Carl. Personally I would have moved after the second damaging windstorm. ;)

Your name and word is all you have.

Mike we couldnt move, this isnt our house, this is my home.:) To much sweat and blood in the land and not enough money in the world (at this point especially).

Lumberjack said:
Mike we couldnt move, this isnt our house, this is my home.:) To much sweat and blood in the land and not enough money in the world (at this point especially).

I here ya, I don't think I could move from our spot. Too much invested emotionally and physically. :)

Latest posts

Back