Lost my 026 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodpounder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well i lost my 026 off the back of my flatbed . I cant afford a new saw right reason being i work on a ranch and dont make the funds i did when i bought the saw. The 026 had a 20inch bar and full chisel chain and i modified the exhaust and loved how it cut. I found a 036 Pro at a pawn shop for 200.00 is it as good a saw or better? I have a 044 at the ranch but its way to heavy for what i used the 026 for.

Jeff

036 is about half way between the two in power and weight, I beleive.

Predecessor to my 361 which is fantastic (I'm running 18" bar).

Sounds like a really good price if the compression is good. Did you pick it up by the pull rope and see if it held or just fell to the floor?

Chaser

The 036 has good compression and comes with a stihl case . Anyone know how much more the 36 weighs than the 26 thats my main concern .The 044 we have wears me out cutting much with it.

Oddvaark said:
A woodpoundr. big cat r smal dog?

LOL . Im no big cat weigh 180 with zero fat..lol but im raising the canopy and removing old trees off a fairly large ranch. cut at least 10 cords in the past two weeks by myself so cutting all day with the big saw is tough. Oh oddvaark im an ex jarhead too..lol

A woodpoundr r u usin dat 044 off d groun or jus on d groun ? Thatz a big saw up in d topz

Oddvaark said:
A woodpoundr r u usin dat 044 off d groun or jus on d groun ? Thatz a big saw up in d topz

Just on the ground but was using my 026 in the air on a tractor loader.

Weight

woodpounder said:
The 036 has good compression and comes with a stihl case . Anyone know how much more the 36 weighs than the 26 thats my main concern .The 044 we have wears me out cutting much with it.

I'm pretty sure it's about 2-3lbs heavier dude. Not really all that much... but prolly more like 2. I think the 026 is like a 11lb saw and the 036 is like a 13lber. I think that's a great deal btw...

My 036 Pro is 12.5 lb. The 026 was 10.6 lb. That's according to a Stihl chart I have [never have owned an 026]. So you're looking at 1.9 lb. difference.

In 2001, my 036 was something like $530, I think, if it was more than that it wasn't much. That was with a 20" bar. That was brand new. I've run it a lot, it is quite a nice saw. No problems.

Very easy to pop off the muffler and take a glance at least at the side of the piston. But $200 sounds ok to me, assuming it isn't a junker.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
I love the 036 / 360... Great saw, and kicks the 026 butt. Little heavier, but.. I also like the 026..
I like them all, but the 361 is the allround saw - 036 is not as good, but still a good saw.

If I had an 044 though, I wold have wanted a 3 cube saw to accompany it, not an 036 (or even 361).

Try to find a used Husky 346xp or 353, better saws than the 026......:D

Latest posts

Back