Lower branch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Howdy guys! I am just wondering how many lower branches are safe to remove from these mature eastern deciduous trees, mixed oaks, elm, tulip poplar etc. I want to get some light in under the trees to help the lawn, plus sick of trying to drive through the branches while mowing. These pics are from my boss's estate where I work some. Ideally, I'd like to take all the lower level ones out, but don't want to take too much and hurt the trees obviously. I've pruned them a little so far but want some better advice before I proceed further. Thanks in advance! Wasn't sure posting here or homeowner helper forum, but seeing as this is part of my paid work, wth, post it here.

Attachments

• IMG_20151022_091404.jpg
    IMG_20151022_091404.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151022_091341.jpg
    IMG_20151022_091341.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
You can take off the lowest row of limbs on those without much concern. Just make sure you make good pruning cuts, not damaging the trunk as you do so.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I thought so but wanted to be sure. The vast bulk of leafs/branches would still be left. The cuts I have made so far have been clean and several inches away from the trunk, haven't "shaved" anything.

I'd raise them for clearance but don't expect to see any difference in how the grass grows.

Well, that's fine I guess, mostly to avoid a face fulla branches all the time and dragging on the mower. I thought a bit more sun down there might help the grass, if it doesn't oh well.

When I stand back and look at a tree I don't like the look when they are raised up more than 1/3 of the total height of the tree (1/3 trunk, 2/3 canopy). On older trees that ratio needs to be reduced or the trees look "stalky" or look like a bush on a pole. Start with some then step back a ways and look at the tree from a distance.

Back