Lowering Device Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before Christmas a company hired me to design a Lowering device that would eventually retail around the £500 mark. Here’s the story so far in both still and moving images. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuPPLIjmvfs

That's a pretty cool invention there... Wish I understood how it worked, like what the tensioning lever was for?

I'm not a tree guy, so it's a bit Greek to me.

There are times when it's useful to tension the rope to get a limb to swing around as desired.

nice work and vid, Reg!! Shows the ease of use of the device.

There are times when it's useful to tension the rope to get a limb to swing around as desired.

nice work and vid, Reg!! Shows the ease of use of the device.

Ahhh, makes sense. It's a really neat tool for sure, and useful.

That looks slick Reg, very nice design. Price it right and the guys that won't spring for a GRCS will buy them. It definitely has advantages over a portawrap or fixed bollard.

That things awesome, I saw this on another site and have been thinking about it a bit lately. I was thinking about this type of idea myself a while back when we had the bollard on the GRCS and a porty undernieth it so I could tip tie and butt tie some big leads on an oak TD. The tentioner is sweet too, I havent really ever had to lift anything anyways. I use two lines like you were doing there myself reg, ALOT! (although I rarely use a pulley on the butt, just drop hitch) so I can see where that thing would be sweet.

Good work.

Hmmm. Sort of half way between a GRCS and a porta wrap. The double bollard is a nice touch.

Other than pretensioning which you can achieve with a fiddle block in front of a porta wrap I really didnt see anything to get excited about. You could duplicate this with 2 porta wraps.

Kudos for building a new niche product but probably not going in my Christmas stocking.

Hmmm. Sort of half way between a GRCS and a porta wrap. The double bollard is a nice touch.

Other than pretensioning which you can achieve with a fiddle block in front of a porta wrap I really didnt see anything to get excited about. You could duplicate this with 2 porta wraps.

Kudos for building a new niche product but probably not going in my Christmas stocking.

I've tried the two porta wraps, it works but its not as slick as that thing looks. Fiddle block sounds like just that - alot of fiddling around! lol.

Hey thank for the interest guys

With bollards at just under four and a half inches wide, the smoothness of control between this device and that of the portowrap is incomparable....especially where using 3/4in rope. The device also has great heat dissipating qualities, which is no accident and absolutely imperative when rigging heavy dynamic loads. The portowrap has a SWL of 1 ton, this device is 3 ton.

If you like smaller devices, then we have a hanging version also....although with an additional sling you can optionally hang it in its working for position for more convenient routing and pretensioning. The sequence of six photos show the attachment and routing of the rope. Thanks
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

one more still to follow

Last edited:
Last one
attachment.php

This device is quite a chunky one in its own right and carries a SWL of 2 tons.

At least for now I'll not be able to reply to any immediate comments as I'll be away for a few days. Thanks again

That is nice compact device you got there Mr. Coates. That is one hell of a slab you seem to have to cut to mount it also. Maybe a tab to fit into a saw kerf?
I don't know how much L500 is but maybe if you sell enough of these things you could buy a new sign?:cheers:

That things awesome, I saw this on another site and have been thinking about it a bit lately. I was thinking about this type of idea myself a while back when we had the bollard on the GRCS and a porty undernieth it so I could tip tie and butt tie some big leads on an oak TD. The tentioner is sweet too, I havent really ever had to lift anything anyways. I use two lines like you were doing there myself reg, ALOT! (although I rarely use a pulley on the butt, just drop hitch) so I can see where that thing would be sweet.

Good work.

yeah? What other site would that be?

That is one hell of a slab you seem to have to cut to mount it also. Maybe a tab to fit into a saw kerf?
I don't know how much L500 is but maybe if you sell enough of these things you could buy a new sign?:cheers:

The tree just had a big lumb in that spot which I had to slice off to mount the device where I wanted it. I think £1 = about $1.6 although without checking I could be out a little. You like the artwork on my sign....if you want I can come paint your vehicle in a similar style?:cheers:

correct me if I am wrong but the leveraging device looks like a pivoting bar with a rope grab used to add more force to pull down on the rope which can then be secured on the bollard. My only concern would be the long term effect on the rope by the rope grab devise. But still great device at that price if my calculation is correct 500mrk 358 us dollar its a steal.

Last edited:
My only concern would be the long term effect on the rope by the rope grab devise. But still great device at that price if my calculation is correct 500mrk 358 us dollar its a steal.

Trust me, its a far friendlier rope grabbbing technique than the norm.

I just looked on an exchange-rate site and it worked out at $827 or there abouts. Thanks

I just looked on an exchange-rate site and it worked out at $827 or there abouts. Thanks

I thought it seemed wrong getting cheaper. I think the exchange calculator I used was wrong even at that price its a good deal.

that explains why I was wrong. £500 Mark I ignored the £ symbol and read it as 500 mark (assuming you meant Deustche MarK)

Last edited:

I would imagine what the rope grab would do is pale in comparison to what the loads are doing anyway.

Back