Lowering Device Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon the self promotion guys, but I felt it appropriate to cap this thread with a some images of the production models that I took the other day. Apart from a couple of trade shows, hopefully I can get back to my regular business from here onwards. Thanks again.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Just before Christmas a company hired me to design a Lowering device that would eventually retail around the £500 mark. Here’s the story so far in both still and moving images. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuPPLIjmvfs

It's not clear to me what the tension bar is for exactly. I'm kind of getting that it is for guiding/pulling blocks over the side of the trees.

That was some great vid work, and the size of some of the pieces that were being rigged down were gigantic. That's a strong device, and I bet your proud of that gem.

It's not clear to me what the tension bar is for exactly. I'm kind of getting that it is for guiding/pulling blocks over the side of the trees.

That was some great vid work, and the size of some of the pieces that were being rigged down were gigantic. That's a strong device, and I bet your proud of that gem.

Thanks. The tension-lever is generally used to create lift on a rigged branch/log to favourably guide it in the intended direction. The larger limbs in this video/thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=105814
were all pre-tensioned and are good examples of where the extra directional advantage is gained. The butt-lines on the cradled limbs also had to be tensioned to minimize the kick-back:

Last edited:
Thanks. The tension-lever is generally used to create lift on a rigged branch/log to favourably guide it in the intended direction. The larger limbs in this video/thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=105814
were all pre-tensioned and are good examples of where the extra directional advantage is gained. The butt-lines on the cradled limbs also had to be tensioned to minimize the kick-back:

So the tension lever works on both lines? I didn't see it used on the right side line. Of course it does, right?

Side note: I bet you that GCRS will start coming cheaper after it get's left $high$ and dry by the Stein.

So the tension lever works on both lines? I didn't see it used on the right side line. Of course it does, right?
Both sides, yep.

Side note: I bet you that GCRS will start coming cheaper after it get's left $high$ and dry by the Stein

You know, I sincerely hope not....the GRCS is a different animal after all. In designing the Dual, it just so happened to work out a lot cheaper than what it costs to build a GRCS. To me, the GRCS is like an advanced version of the Hobbs, while our device takes a different approach to rigging as opposed to following on from the other two.... but what may better suit one treeworkers preferences might just as easily not appeal to another's....so we believe that our device has a place somewhere in the mix.

I actually contacted Mr Good (GRCS) prior to designing the Dual, out of courtesy to let him know what I was doing and furthermore to be sure I didn't infringe on any of his Design Rights....same with Norm Hall (portawrap). As it turned out I couldn't have asked for a warmer more encouraging response from both parties, gentlemen through and through.

I actually contacted Mr Good (GRCS) prior to designing the Dual, out of courtesy to let him know what I was doing and furthermore to be sure I didn't infringe on any of his Design Rights....same with Norm Hall (portawrap). As it turned out I couldn't have asked for a warmer more encouraging response from both parties, gentlemen through and through.

:jawdrop: What? I've never heard of business like that. As sure as can be you cleared you way through the woods though. From what I've studied on patent there can be costly and lengthy wars for the rights on inventions, and they're common place.

I store my inventions still on paper in a folder, but they are mostly sports gear as opposed to tree workers' gear. Who knows though. My tendencies tend to take an inventive route towards what ever it is I do, so I might put something on the block sooner or later myself.

Anyway, that was one bold business move to talk to your competitors like that or wasn't it? I would have been uprighting walls and barricades all around my situation if it had been me that was bringing that device to the market. That's my instinct towards these kinds of things, but I think I've learned something from your course of action. Really though, was there any other way to put a new invention in the same market with similar products?

:jawdrop: What? I've never heard of business like that. As sure as can be you cleared you way through the woods though. From what I've studied on patent there can be costly and lengthy wars for the rights on inventions, and they're common place.

I store my inventions still on paper in a folder, but they are mostly sports gear as opposed to tree workers' gear. Who knows though. My tendencies tend to take an inventive route towards what ever it is I do, so I might put something on the block sooner or later myself.

Anyway, that was one bold business move to talk to your competitors like that or wasn't it? I would have been uprighting walls and barricades all around my situation if it had been me that was bringing that device to the market. That's my instinct towards these kinds of things, but I think I've learned something from your course of action. Really though, was there any other way to put a new invention in the same market with similar products?

Well, of course I'd have made it anyway, with or without anyones blessing.... and I obviously didn't disclose anything about the design until it was Patent Pending, not even to the company (Stein) who hired me to make it.

Having said that I'll still feel better for it, that is if I ever do get the opportunity to meet Greg or Norm that they'll at least know I'm a straight shooter....and hopefully have no animosity towards me. And you know if the whole think went to pot tomorrow it'd hardly be the end of the world either!

Hey Reg,

the Stein looks great and a big congrats on your development! Can the first step to sling be disregarded if you have another man steady the device in place while the other ratchets up on the yellow strap?

Hey Reg,

the Stein looks great and a big congrats on your development! Can the first step to sling be disregarded if you have another man steady the device in place while the other ratchets up on the yellow strap?

Thanks John, and yeah absolutely to you question

Latest posts

Back