LP Chain on 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappercreek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all great site been lurking for quite awhile now soaking it all in. I'm working on a remote cabin where I use an alaska mill from time to time. I'm running a 310 with a 20" bar and granburg ripping chain to mill spruce. (everyone is right when they say it's addictive to turn over each slab to see what you got) In order to save my saw wear and tear (and speed up the process a little) I'd like to run LP ripping chain so I went into the local shop and asked what it would take to switch over from 3/8 standard (sprocket/bar). One guy at the counter said it couldn't be done and the other said I wouldn't have to change anything. This started quite the brawl between the two of them so I grabbed my oil and ran out thinking I could just ask the much more knowledgeable people here.
I know your first answer is to be to get a bigger saw but lets skip that one for now the old lady says I have too many toys already.
thanks for any help you can lend

Well, I'm no pro, but I think the bar you have now has to be .50 (as opposed to .58 or .63), or it will be wider than the low profile chain. The LP ONLY comes in 3/8, so you're good to go there.

I'm also told that they do not recommend it on a bar longer than 24in, as it does not stand up to the strain.

I'm sure folks have told you that you could use a bit more saw for milling. If that saw is also your good firewood saw (and you really need it to continue as such), you might want to start poking around for a used large diplacement saw.... you're looking for as many cc's as you can get, magnesium case, and low RPM grunt. Old McCullochs, Homelites, as well as older Stihls and Huskies (051, 056, 2100, 288) are generally the budget saws of choice.

If that is not an option, stick to the small diameter wood. The 310 makes a nice firewood saw, but since it has a very small (fits in the palm of your hand) metal crankcase that sits in a plastic cradle, it does not have the heat sink and heat dissipation properties to adequately cool the saw during milling ops.

Last edited:
I would think you should be able to use the LP on a 310, since a lot of folks are using it on 660s. I use it on a 385 Husky with the Logosol M7 myself. I will tell you I think the problem you will have is in the sprocket. The 3/8 and the 63 PMX (LP) sprockets do have different # on them.

What I would do is call Bailey's and talk to someone there that should know. If that fails, you might call Logosol and talk to Charlie. He should know.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

It will fit your sprocket and bar no problem. I'm running LP on my 041 with the standard 3/8 rim. You just have to make sure your bar is .050 gauge as that is what Bailey's LP ripping chain is.

Ian

Latest posts

Back