LT-10 in some ERC (Arkansas)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Was only intending to change the oil in my 10HP bandsaw mill motor yesterday. But when I got outside, I couldn't think of going back in without doing something! So I finished up that leftover chunk of Pignut Hickory(no photo's taken), and then decided that I just had to have another bunch of ERC slabs to make some pen blanks for the future cut up(okay, I like the smell of Eastern Red Cedar in the shop).

Here's a group shot of the pieces I got to cut up(then I ran out of gas):

(the larger chunks-on the wide ends....those measure at 18" across)
(all were cut to 1" thickness or 8/8)

And a few close-up's('eye-candy' if you will):

The colors were still really fresh from the cutting, and had some excellent hues and tones. Yes, most of those will sort of 'disappear' during the next few weeks while drying....too bad.

Had fun, made some slabs/boards, and then got to clean up. What more could a fella ask for?

Scott (woohoo, where's that full gas can) B

Nice slabs! After drying, a light resurfacing will bring back the color. Be sure to put a uv resistant finish on and it'll hold it's color well.

Nice slabs! After drying, a light resurfacing will bring back the color. Be sure to put a uv resistant finish on and it'll hold it's color well.

Just about everything in these photo's will actually be cut down to 3/4" sq x 5-1/4"(pen blanks), and mostly crosscut pieces. I go through maybe 150 pieces a month trying to supply pen turners around the world.(Could be I have the crazy low prices they are looking for:msp_w00t:)

I really hope to get in front of the curve this year and have plenty made so I don't have to cut them every weekend!!

Scott (my garage smells super right now too) B

Nice slabs. I've found cedar like that to be a real challenge to line up and clamp down. Running out of gas doesn't stop me. I just siphon some out of my wife's car with my "Arkansas credit card". For some reason, she thinks the ol' Honda Civic should get better mileage than it usually does. Good luck with the pen blank business!

Love the ERC. ERC for president in 2016

That'd be better then what we normally get to choose from:laugh:

Pen blanks make for pretty nice 'hobby fundage'. Quick math says I get about $12 per board foot from selling little chunks of wood.......after all, ERC makes for a pretty nice pen!

or maybe this one?
ERCxcut004.jpg

Scott (got ERC?) B

Looks good Scott. Someone had a booth set up at the local woodworking show a while back. They were letting people turn blanks on their equipment.

Latest posts

Back