lumber ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi people. I have an elm tree to work on this week and was wondering if it was worth anything for lumber? Also, does anyone here deal with spalted wood ever?

Hey Matt,

I don't know much about elm as lumber, if it has some figure you should be able to find someone to take it. I do know it's a B^%tch to split if it is seasoned a little.

I think woodmizer might be able to hook you up with someone with a bandmill in your locale. Also, check your PM's.

In my neck of the woods you cant hardly give it away. Most of the mills around here dont like it because it is so stringy. We cut a decent amont of chip anf they will only take so much of it from us. But if you check around you might find someone who has a market for it but I wouldnt get my hopes up on a making any big dollars. Good luck, Wade

spalted maple

Treeman82
We seperate it when were are sawing Hard Maple it is a defect gradeing standard NHLA rules so it would 3B but there are a couple local wood workers around here that will pay 1com prices .3B $270.mbf ,1com $1020.mbf so I would check around maybe someone who deals with exotic lumber would be interesed.Seth

Good old Elm, eh?
Weighs a ton per board foot, be ready to band that stuff after you sticker it!

In dutch elm disease problem areas, the bark needs to be disposed of soon, by burning , chipping, etc.

Yesterday I salvaged a Maple blow down. It was 30" on the butt and 18" on the tip at 50 ft., and spalted all the way thru.
It should yield at least 1000 ft. of lumber so I am going to have it milled into 7/4 for harvest tables.
John
spaltedmaple.jpg

spalted maple

That is amazing!
1000 ft of spalted maple blowdown, nice find.
I like the 7/4 idea for the big tables.
We have sold some western maple locally for the same thing. I don't have pics though.

The non character stuff makes great workbench wood in the same thickness.

gypo,
I can't believe that rotted maple is a great find!!!! Down here in PA that log wold be half scale if that. If that is a good log I have alot around me mostly in indiana county. Almost all of the maple there looks like that.
mike

Mike you really have to have an available market for it.We call it rotting and decayed, some specialty furniture builders and turners call it spalted.

Latest posts

Back