Mac One-86

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up an old mac at a yard sale. I think that it is a one 86. It is a big old monster. Are parts still available for these? I am afraid that the addiction is getting much worse!!

one 86. It is a big old monster. Are parts still available for these? I am afraid that the addiction is getting much worse!!
Most likely if you look long enough you could find parts.That one is an odd one because of the bore and the 6.04 cu inch or 99 cc displacement.Really though the danged things seem to run forever so just a little tune up/clean up usually does the job.

I think that it needs a starter rope return spring. It looks very clean and I hope to get to it running in a couple of weeks. Is there any one who sells parts for the old big macs? I did a couple of searches on the Internet and found a parts manual, but very few parts themselves. Is this saw part of a family/group of Mac saws such as a 024/026 Stihl? It came with a used 3' mac bar and an almost new 6' bar and a bunch of chains. Will the bar fit any newer saws?
THANKS

Last edited:
Update 1-85/1-86 ??

I used a return spring from a 7hp Kohler and reset the points and cleaned the plug. I can get the saw to start by priming it, but it only runs for a second. The compression is 120 psi. I am not sure if it is an 1-85 or a 1-86. They both look alike in the pictures, and I can't find any numbers on the saw. I think that I need a carb kit. The carb has 53946 stamped on it. The 1-85 is supposed to have a Tillotson HL and the 1-86 a McCulloch brand carb. I'll look for a kit.

Well sir,according to my microfiche the 1-85 is 5.8 cu inch and uses a Tillotson model HL carb.The 1-86 is 6.04 cubic inch and uses a Walbro /Mac
carb,the infamous "flatback".Rebuild kits for the Tillotson are easy to find,not so for the Mac flatback.

They both have a 2.165 stroke but the 1-86 is 2.165 bore while the 1-85 is

On most older reed valve Macs there is series of numbers stamped into the stuffer box on the bottom of the saw.I can't remember which is which but one side indicates the model ,while the other set of numbers has something to do with build date,place of manufacture etc.

More times than not just cleaning up the carb will save them,sometimes not.Check the fuel lines for cracks,they often disolve within the fuel tank.

Oh,I forgot the bar question.As a normal rule about any large mount McCulloch bar is interchangable within other large mount Mac saws.They will not fit a large Stihl or Husqvarna if that's what you are thinking,without a bunch of modification being done to them.They will fit a large mount Homelite with minor modifications.

Thank You

THANK YOU for the help. I'll look for the numbers today. The saw has .404 X .063 chain and a few spare sprockets. The groove in the bars is .375 to .380. wide and around 3" long. The 6' Cannon bar is almost new (It would look like a monster on my 084). The carb doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I'll deal with the carb in the next few weeks.

The saw has .404 X .063 chain and a few spare sprockets.
Hmm,that sheds things in a different light,so to speak.The 1-85,86 is geardrive saw and would normally use a 1/2" chain I would have thought .

The Cannon bar is more than likely worth more than the saw.

News flash,I just looked up the IPL.In addition to both 1/2" and 9/16" spurs for that saw it does include a 7 tooth .404 spur as well.

I looked at the numbers and it is a 1-86. It says 1- 86 with a 75 over the 86. The serial number is #4375. It came with one worn 1/2" chain and 6 or 7 404 X 063 chains. They are Oregon 52. I think that they are all square ground skip chain. One of the chains is worth more than I paid for the saw. Now I need to learn how to file square ground.

Latest posts

Back