Made in China/sunfly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you talking about Doc, All the best stuff is made in China(Japan-bttf)...:D

My dewalt's say USA on the labels but the batteries all say made in China.

LOL, my cell-phone batteries also say China on them, as well as the chargers - I am not surpriced that neither works at all, after a couple of years!

I had to buy replacements, that were made elsewhere!

LOL, my cell-phone batteries also say China on them, as well as the chargers - I am not surpriced that neither works at all, after a couple of years!

I had to buy replacements, that were made elsewhere!

I had the battery in my cordless phone take a crapp last year... got on eBay and bought 2 packs for $2.97 with $2 shipping from China(sounds too good to be true right?). Well when I got the packs, they looked fine but only worked for about six months before taking a dive themselves. Needless to say, I went with a quality Japanese battery and made my own packs to replace those. They have been going strong since then and have the capacity 3x what the original ones did... I can talk for 3-5 hours(conf calls ugg):rant: on the phone and the batteries keep chuggin along...

I had a chance to form an impression of Chinese manufacturing when I did bicycles a while back- they were capable of doing really good work, if they cared to. Manufacturing defects were corrected with promises and assurances, and the defect would remain firmly in place for the following production runs. The defect would be fixed when they were threatened with nonrenewal of contract. The factories would quite happily look you in the eye and lie to your face, right until the check didn't clear, and then things got taken care of.

There's a fairly famous story about a British shipbuilder being asked for a bid to build a new class of destroyer, I think it was, for an Asian country. They knew that their design would be copied, and that there was no chance of them getting the contract to actually build the ship, this had all happened before. They submitted the design with an obvious flaw, a serious stability issue that should have been detected by any competent marine architect, and sure enough, some time later, a ship was observed leaving the shipyard for sea trials. Nearly immediately, the ship started a slow turn, rolled over, and sank. I think this story is told in engineering classes. There are similar stories about machinery designs with meaningless features, watermarks, if you will, which are copied exactly on the knockoffs.

I'm not anti-Chinese per se, but I like a level playing field.

Just get over it - China made = crap!

Unless a "Western" company takes care of the quality control......

you got it right, when a western company, take all of them in the tech sector, gets their r&d done, they then sub the final work off to the cheap labor overseas and reap the benefits. they have people controlling the quality... believe it or not china can and will make the best knockoff saw right up to par with us/euro quality, someone just has to supervise them in doing it.

Simple solution: STOP buying chi-com crap! If you continue to undermine the proper builders of equipment, all will suffer.

Not being political but... Shopping at wally world and other import biz, well your cutting your own throat.

Have fun with your patent infringing garbage and be sure to post a rant when it blows up:heart:

Bill

few more things:
- the bar that cams with the saw is made of some soft metal; really soft; so soft, that the chain tends to bury itself into the gauge.
- the chain is stiff, the links hold rigidly to one another
- enormous fuel consumption
- the air filter lets wood particles go through
- the inertia break chain is just for design. It sticks to the bar cap (don`t know what they call it) and when you take it down, it comes off too. it is just a plastic with nothing on it to suggest that might work as a break.
- tensioning the chain: an art; you have to tight the chain knowing that than when you turn the screws, it tightens some more.

however, I never used the chain so loose....maybe the specs suggest it because they now about the crappy oiler...

with thees saws is like lottery: you might indeed get one that works decent and in that case may worth the bother; but more often you get stiffed.
I think the manufacturer strategy to survive is to produce as much as he can, cheap dirt and invade the world with his crap. I think that this works in undeveloped countries where Husky and Stihl are almost unreachable by the commoner.

does any one in america have a knock off, or are they just impossible to import, for the right price i would run the piss out of a 100cc monster and then just rebuild it with quality parts. MCW, does the 070 look like oem parts will bolt right on??

I'm pretty sure every single part of an original 070 will bolt on. I mean the Australian Carlton importer and one of my suppliers, Jakmax, have enough Chinese made 070 parts in their catalogue to basically rebuild a whole motor. All Chinese parts too. I doubt you'll find many OEM 070 parts now but could be wrong.

Simple solution: STOP buying chi-com crap! If you continue to undermine the proper builders of equipment, all will suffer.

Not being political but... Shopping at wally world and other import biz, well your cutting your own throat.

Have fun with your patent infringing garbage and be sure to post a rant when it blows up:heart:

Bill

Hi Bill.
I think you need to realise that your beloved Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar (or whatever) are also buying Chinese crap. My German made Dolmar has a Chinese made ZAMA carby for example and I'm sure that is just the tip of the iceberg.
I'm no big fan of China made gear but you also have to remember, when we buy a pro saw in Australia we are paying up to double of what you guys in the states pay. If you lived in Australia or even Europe and weren't made of money these Chi-com knock offs would start to look very appealing. For example, I can buy 4 knock off 365XP Huskys for the price of 1 brand new one in Australia.
Now would I use one on a big tree job? Hell no, I currently run a fair collection of pro saws so have no need.
However for the average home owner they can buy one of these 365XP knock offs for only $50 more than a similar 38cc Talon (Chinese) saw from the local hardware store.
It's not about putting the big boys out of business as somebody who is considering a $375 365XP knock off would never have been in the market for a $1500 pro saw anyway.
Guess what? The ones I'm getting "might" blow up, or you could be very surprised. I certainly won't be posting any rants as I don't have any high expectations. If I was confident they'd be as reliable as a genuine Husky 365XP I'd have bought a container load of them :cheers:

if my china saw is no exception and all of them use 50% more gas, and you intend to cut mountains with it then is cheaper to buy a husky or Stihl in the first place.
I know how appealing is a cheap saw; I never thought of ever getting one. now that I have the cheap one, the curiosity vanished and with the mist gone, you could clearly see the desire to own a brand saw.

I can see however that I`m narrow minded and speak only from my limited experience point of view; that`s why your posts are a gold mine for the untrained.

if my china saw is no exception and all of them use 50% more gas, and you intend to cut mountains with it then is cheaper to buy a husky or Stihl in the first place.
I know how appealing is a cheap saw; I never thought of ever getting one. now that I have the cheap one, the curiosity vanished and with the mist gone, you could clearly see the desire to own a brand saw.

I can see however that I`m narrow minded and speak only from my limited experience point of view; that`s why your posts are a gold mine for the untrained.

There are Chinese saws and there are Chinese saws though. If you can get a bolt for bolt knock off of a 365XP Husky it will be a lot different to the Chinese saw you purchased. There are a few versions of the 365XP floating around in China though and I know for sure that one of those versions has far weaker components in it and poorer bearings.

Chinese Saws

You ask about the Stihl 070. That model is about 48 years old. I ran one in Cameroon Africa, where I set up a modern saw shop for a company. When I purchased modern saws and the workers compared those to the 070's not one worker wanted to run the 070's anymore.

The 070 isn't shock mounted, it is noisy and heavy. Would you buy a car that is 48 years old for use? (not collectable). Do yourself a favor, buy a modern model.

I would not be certain that the 070 from China is authorized by Stihl. In Africa there are fine looking chainsaw bars, with Oregon on them. Though they look like the real thing, after one hour of use they are about worn out, because they are very poor quality metal. China is notorious for making all kinds of products, violating patents, etc. They just don't care.

One day a guy from Stihl chainsaw repair shop was speaking of a chinese saw (like the one I have I fear) that had a burned out cylinder and the cylinder seemed to be made out some sort of plastic.
can`t vouch for that though for I haven`t seen that. also seems not probable to me. but if it is true...then a big LOL

Why would you buy a $500 Chinese knock off where quality and durability are a big "?". If I have $500 to spend on a 100cc saw I will be looking for a Homelite or Mac locally on the used market and still have money left over for bars and chains. I know I would feel satisfied with the quality and durability of my purchase because these saws were not made by a china-man.

I bet my Stihl 066 magnum would out perform that Chinese 070 and I paid half the price of the 070. I just can't understand why anyone would spend $500 on such a risky investment.

Why would you buy a $500 Chinese knock off where quality and durability are a big "?". If I have $500 to spend on a 100cc saw I will be looking for a Homelite or Mac locally on the used market and still have money left over for bars and chains. I know I would feel satisfied with the quality and durability of my purchase because these saws were not made by a china-man.

:clap:

I bet my Stihl 066 magnum would out perform that Chinese 070 and I paid half the price of the 070. I just can't understand why anyone would spend $500 on such a risky investment.

maybe if you are dying (for sure)in matter of days and as a hobby you want to run a 100 cc chainsaw, then durability won`t be an issue anymore and it would not be that bad to get one.

Welcome to the club. Rep coming your way. :cheers:

Because you're an expert, and an enthusiast

Because you know better. I've been working toward becoming an expert at chainsaw repair/maintenance and use, because I don't want to piss away good money on imported garbage any longer. So far it's worked out alright. The problems I've run into have given me invaluable experience, and some purchases have been just a slam-dunk.

The guy in the video I posted a couple of pages back is (IMHO) neither an expert nor an enthusiast. How could he be "happy" with that saw? Had I puchased one of those, I would be completely disappointed, feel ripped off, and blame no-one but myself. How long will the bearings last? What type of oil seals did they use? I doubt they're Viton. Who will you turn to for parts should you have an issue? I guess you'd just buy another one.

I also would be frankly afraid to run it. Like others have been saying, if the mfg is cutting corners on base materials, like the steel or Aluminium used in the high-stress components, who's to say the cylinder won't fail to contain the explosive force from the fuel? What would you think if the side cover fell off due to stud failure or crankcase material failure, and the bar swung around and zapped you? If the saw does injure you in normal use due to a manufacturing defect, you might want to recover damages. Good luck with that.

Back