made me a timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i made this a few months ago but i never posted any pics of it. it works pretty well. ive guaged it to the 100$ store bought ones and i actually like mine better. my handle is 4 1/2 feet so the extra leverage is great for little guys like me.

i made the hook at work on the cnc punch press it worked out really well. it makes it look fancy too which dosent hurt. i will say though i didnt do anything to clean it up any i didnt even brush the welds off or grind it nice. maybe sometime but i got too much to do to play with crap likr that right now it still works good eitherway.

Nit pickin'

comparison between your creation, and my modified factory model.

Foot is too tall, you only need enough to raise the thing off the ground. A shorter leg would increase the available leverage. My factory model looked a lot like yours, and I chopped the foot to 1/2 height.

Steel is easy to work with, but unless it is a solid axle shaft it is going to bend. 4 foot long lever with a big dude hanging on the end of it means a bunch of weight on the business end of it.
Mine uses a honking huge 3" thick hardwood handle. It is strong enough that I can put everything my 200 pounds can do into it.

The hook. Excellent work there! I love it!!! :clap: I had to change mine from a single point that was angled wrong to a pair of points that are a lot like what you have there.

With mine, I can usually dog into a 20" log (tree length) and slam the handle hard and get it off the ground. Watch where you place your hands the hook has a nasty habit of coming all the way over and smashing knuckles while you are carrying it. Ask how I know..... :monkey:

-Pat

i thought about cutting the leg shorter ill probably try it sometime for the hell of it.
as far as the pipe goes its pretty thick stuff. its been a while since i made it and my memory is ehhh at best but i doint think it bending is an issue but time will tell.

but this was my first shot at one and like everything i seem to make or even buy i think of things to make em better. so maybe next home depot trip ill snag another length of pipe :)

Back