Not sure where to stick this but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarflip

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been getting loops to be sharpened along with chipper knives from my Arborist customers. Just started recently actually with a bag of 80 loops in various lengths and brands (mostly Oregon and Stihl) from just one outfit, and pricing ready made loops I can understand why. What was once a cheap date is no longer.

The tree companies I deal with, used to be when they rocked a chain or it became dull and started making sawdust, they would remove the loop and put on a new one. Not that way today obviously. Have 2 chain grinders mounted to my welding table, one just for grinding teeth (gullets) and the other just for lowering dept gages if necessary and I tend to set them at .025.

Both grinders are running CBN aluminum rimmed grinding wheels so I never have to radius dress them, just clean the abrasive once in a while.

They are all happy and I give them all a deal on sharpening them as well. I usually get both chipper knives and loops at the same time. Obviously, with the economy what it is and the ever increasing cost of everything, it's becoming obvious that saving money for any business is a good idea. Do like sharpening chains as I can sit on my butt on a stool and grind away. Besides, I get all my tree work (that I cannot do myself), gratis. Hard to beat 75 foot High Ranger mounted on a dump bed chipper truck. I have gotten a couple carbide tooth loops that I cannot sharpen but a buddy had a diamond wheel sharpener so he does them for me.

Latest posts

Back