Magic Heat reclaimer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys installed a "magic heat reclaimer" on your stove pipe? They are the things with tubes in them and a thermostatically controlled fan that blows heat off the stove pipe. I've seen them advertised at northern tool and am wondering if they really work as well as advertised. Anyone have any info? Here is the link showing picture and description
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331508_200331508

Thanks Bob

they are dangerous. they plug up with creasote and are a pain in the ass.

We had one in the house when I was kid as did my Grandparents. They worked well but were a pain to keep clean. Dad would set it in a five gallon bucket and use fuel oil to keep the creosote build up burning to clean it out. They took it out when they put the wood furnace in the basement. Grandma's insurance co saw her's and made her take it out

reclaimer

All the posts are right I have one on a small woodburner in one of my greenhouses it does pull a little more heat out but the cost is it does get creosote (cuts down on chimney temps) and sometimes leaks creosote onto the top of the stove I don't care in the greenhouse as theres not much anywhere near it that can catch fire I would not want it in a home period!! Hope this helps.

There's a better Magic Heat model that has a built in cleaning mechanism that you can slide across the tubes once a week or so, but it's about $200 and still doesn't work that great. The cheapie Made in China ones in the NH catalogs are way more trouble than their worth, the fan kicks on at such a low temperature that it usually kills the draft and causes the fire to smolder, and the only way to clean it is to remove the unit. Maybe if you were burning coal or a big old oil or gas burner with a 6" flue that wasn't really efficient but I would not use one for wood.

Back