Magnolia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you could tell me in about the stability of an magnolia tree. I know that pines take less stress than say an oak but i'm not sure about the magnolia are they susceptible to failure? May be a stupid ? but i won't know until i ask.
Thanks guys

I removed a Magnolia about a year ago. It was like cutting oak it was so hard! The tree had about a 40 degree lean on and it was right next to a house i mean 3" from wall to stump the butress roots were right next to the wall. Was about 40' with a 15' spread. Held upto quite a few storms without breaking or pulling the house down.

I'd say its quite strong and younger shoots are very flexable.

there was a huge old magnolia on the side of our house that charley took out. I think that the hardness of the wood may have been it's downfall. Sometimes flexing is good.I hate to say it, but the camphor trees held up the best around here. Live oaks do well too if you have them thinned before the hurricanes, so there's less for the wind to catch.

That helps alot guys. I've never really had to cut one and wasn't sure about the strength. Hate to cut the old tree down but unfortunately it's in the way of the landowners new shop. Thanks again guys

Back