main as a choker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not real good at it, loggers eye, farmer eye, short splice, can't get my head around a long splice, or rolling the strands in... Not that I've ever had the need to do more then the occasional eye splice, and just playing with a short splice...

Farmer eye is super easy by the way, just remember to lock the fuzzy ends down or the whole damn thing works its way loose again...

A logger Eye isn't so bad once you figure out how it works, a fair bit of work but doable, takes me a bout 10-20 minutes in 5/8 line. first try took like 4 hours and was completely wrong, but its still holding what 4 years later or so...

I'm completely self taught on this one... I'm sure there are lots of tricks and methods I'm not aware of, so I'm a little sketchy on showing other peeps how it works.

Took me a while to find it. Tail chain is what I have seen used.

http://www.wallingfords.com/ProductDetail.php?Winch-Line-Tail-Chains-25

winchline.png

Yes for hooking back onto the cable, or a clevis for pulling equipment. The hook is pretty rounded to limit kinks.

Your other option is a Bantam sized choker hook. But that requires a button on the winch line end.

The buttons fit snug, can't imagine a wedge ferrule would fit.

But I also haven't found dimensions for the wedge ferrules.

What sucks with the buttons, every time you need to shorten your main it needs a new one pressed on.

No I didn't price it... should have, it might not be a "special knob" could just be the smaller 3/4 knob? Won't know until its in my grubby paw.

I doubt it would be more then $60 for the hardware, had 2 5/8 x 12" chokers made up there a month ago or so for $93 and some change, so like 47.50 a piece or so.

Back