Major Hedge/Osage Orange score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to call it the great humbler... Those Hedge posts are dense!
This is a 7900 with a sharp chain.
"Albeit, a semi chisel"

[video=youtube;rTPFI5YJo_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPFI5YJo_k&feature=BFa&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA[/video]

Dayum, Hedge...and I buck hedge with my 025 (and RSC). ;o)

Dayum, Hedge...and I buck hedge with my 025 (and RSC). ;o)

You got more patience than me... But back when I was a wee lad, my only saws were an 018, a 210, and an 028 wood boss... I got by...
But then I got a 372xp....
Then the sun broke through the clouds, and shone down about me.
Mine eyes were opened...
Then I heard about the saw called by name Dolmar... "what is this name?" DOLMAR...
So I then located this illusive machine and beheld it...
Oh, 'twas an angry machine to behold indeed!!!
And mine eyes were opened again...

And the lord said "Behold Boy... Your saw"... "Go forth and tame the fencerows, and reclaim the fields for the cattle to feed in.."

And there you have it...
:msp_wink:

Last edited:
You got more patience than me... But back when I was a wee lad, my only saws were an 018, a 210, and an 028 wood boss... I got by...
But then I got a 372xp....
Then the sun broke through the clouds, and shone down about me.
Mine eyes were opened...
Then I heard about the saw called by name Dolmar... "what is this name?" DOLMAR...
So I then located this illusive machine and beheld it...
Oh 'twas and angry machine to behold indeed!!!
And mine eyes were opened again...

And the lord said "Behold Boy... Your saw"... "Go forth and tame the fencerows, and reclaim the fields for the cattle to feed in.."

And there you have it...
:msp_wink:

No argument. I haven't found a Dolmar in my price range, but if I can convince the Mrs, there "might" be a DCS 6421 in my future. Meanwhile, I've still got some hedge sittin' out back that still needs bucked and split. I guess my little old homeowner saw will "git 'r done".

No argument. I haven't found a Dolmar in my price range, but if I can convince the Mrs, there "might" be a DCS 6421 in my future. Meanwhile, I've still got some hedge sittin' out back that still needs bucked and split. I guess my little old homeowner saw will "git 'r done".

It'll manage just fine... I still ain't found anything worth milling here... When I get into a decent sized one, it's full of internal splits and cracks...
But......

There will come a day, when I lay mine eyes upon the great 36", straight growing, Hedgeous Erectus!!!! That I will go forth and lay waste to, and bringeth it asunder... For the mill should partake of such a golden gem...

That, or I'll admire it, and move on to something less desirable..
Who knows...??
Seems like anymore, I can't bring myself to cut anything that ain't got somethin' wrong with it.
Except hackberry trees... We cut over 250 of those weeds out of 1 fencerow.
:msp_biggrin:

It'll manage just fine... I still ain't found anything worth milling here... When I get into a decent sized one, it's full of internal splits and cracks...
But......

There will come a day, when I lay mine eyes upon the great 36", straight growing, Hedgeous Erectus!!!! That I will go forth and lay waste to, and bringeth it asunder... For the mill should partake of such a golden gem...

That, or I'll admire it, and move on to something less desirable..
Who knows...??
Seems like anymore, I can't bring myself to cut anything that ain't got somethin' wrong with it.
Except hackberry trees... We cut over 250 of those weeds out of 1 fencerow.
:msp_biggrin:

That's most of what we find around here, short, full of limbs, full of cracks and crooked as a dog's shmoz. Makes good firewood, makes lousy boards. I'm right into cutting junk timber for firewood. I wonder how hackberry mills out?

That's most of what we find around here, short, full of limbs, full of cracks and crooked as a dog's shmoz. Makes good firewood, makes lousy boards. I'm right into cutting junk timber for firewood. I wonder how hackberry mills out?

I'll bet it's similar to Elm...

I'll bet it's similar to Elm...

Never milled Elm either. We do mostly oak, cherry, walnut, cedar and hedge. I thought about silver maple, but I took down the last one on the property this past spring.

Very nice load indeed. It's quite plentyfull around here. I cut alot of it myself. I helped some friends clear out a short run of them earlier in the year (about 400yds long). We had the dozer and track hoe to push em over. I cut the rootball off one and it measured 5 ft across. The first limb up measured just under 30''. Needless to say we dulled a few chains and went through several tanks of gas in the saws and 2 splitters that day. Had a gr8 time. David.......

It is still quite abundant in my area of Illinois, however most of the weekend warriors wont touch it as it was used in the fence rows and grows rather gnarly. I have burned alot of it over the years, but It is alot of work since they don't grow very straight. Nice score! Good for you for attacking it!

It is still quite abundant in my area of Illinois, however most of the weekend warriors wont touch it as it was used in the fence rows and grows rather gnarly. I have burned alot of it over the years, but It is alot of work since they don't grow very straight. Nice score! Good for you for attacking it!

The crooked stuff seems to burn just as well as the straight. :msp_wink:

I'm assuming I'll have a hard time finding this stuff in Minnesota?

We have some here in California, but I've only noticed many smaller trees growing mostly alongside the road at fences. Nothing at all the size as was shown here earlier, but I'll bet some exist. The road crews here are the ones most likely to have it, as they would be the ones' cutting it when it gets in the way of traffic. I see those "oranges" scattered close by too. I've never burned a bit of it myself, but it seems legendary enough to search for.

Latest posts

Back