Major house fire averted-thank God

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
THE COST OF GAS - HAS GOT MY INTEREST AGAIN

Live in Australia.
We have an open fire place set in a corner of family room.Two years ago
teenage children had friends stay over, who stayed up late one winter night
Going off to bed and leaving them ,with fire to manage.I was slighly concerned about the way they were furociously throwing on heavy sections of Redgum.Hmm,at the time figured ,leave em be.Enough of being the boss.Ya get sick of it ,too !!!
FOUR IN THE MORNING AWAKE FROM A DREAM ABOUT FIRE.Groggy I awaken to see flickering light coming from the hallway leading to the family room.
....................yep you got it !!.......had me scrambling and screaming for everyone up an out.
In bare feet I'm pulling everything flamable,burning or not outside.We were all safe .Thank God.But it was a close call.Feet and legs were badly burnt(straight outa bed-no shoes)The smoke was black an poison.Each time i dragged something outside i had to hold my breath to go back in.By the time the fire-brigade,God bless em ,came,I'd emptied the rooms affected and punched out the dry wall ,to get to the cavity behind the fire place.The FG guys did a fantastic job of mopping up and making sure all was safe an out.Their report was that some of the mortar had been knocked out between double bricks, creating a firey jet onto the studs in a short section of dry wall .Lucky we got to it in time, it was licking the roof joists.
I am a chippy by trade ,so as soon as insurance was assessed i get to repairing .Amazed at what i find.Power wires run round the back of the hearth.Studs way to close.
It no longer has wire or studs behind the hearth and the whole has been insulated heavily.Also lined the interior with 8mm,all verticals slotting into angle iron.
We have central gas heating and used it soley last winter.
I AM GUN SHY -BUT WOULD LIKE TO USE FP THIS WINTER -Have a beautifull stack ,9 cord Acacia(hickory),Oak ,Ash ,redgum.
Although it does'nt snow it get does stay down around 4-12*max, during winter.
Need to give the chimney a good sweep before hand ,maybe add some glass doors (from what you guys are saying) also could bring it out more with heat boxes an vents to top an sides.Will research.
Apart from sharing a story,just want to thank you guys from sharing yours.
There's nothing like an open fire on a cold winters night.God bless.

-Graeme

Last edited:
Worst case story I know of it this:

About 10 years ago a friend who ran a few cabins for rent had one burn down in the following manner. Her assistant made a fire in the woodstove of one unit and somehow the burning logs (rounds?) fell, knocked open the stove door, and rolled out blazing into the room and the wooden floor. Nobody was there and the place caught fire and burned to the ground. Horrible, but at least no one was hurt.

What type of glass our you using for door inserts ?
How often do you sweep your chimney /flew ?
-Graeme
wow close call. i usually clean my chimny 2 times a year but inspect it often. i burn about six cord a year but i keep my wood dry and burn a hot fire

Use tempered glass, you generally cannot cut it yourself so once the door is built make sure your measurements are accurate, always leave at least 1/8th" on all sides for expansion/contraction. Theres some high tech tempered glass available now but it is way pricey, i've forgotten the name but a single pane about 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' cost my neighbour almost 300$, that was enough to shy me away! I have an old scorpion style wood stove in my garage that I used for years, not an airtight, that has two panes of just regular window glass (about a 3/4 space between them) that slides in slots, never had a problem with it in over 10 years of usage and it was my only heat during that time. Insurance regs would probably recc tempered.
My 0.02$ on this.

:cheers: (and glad you caught the fire early, sorry to hear about the burns though, nasty)

Serge

Replacements I got for my old stove and the new panes I put in my current one are some type of ceramic glass. Supposed to be able to stand the heat much better than tempered glass but yes it is expensive. Around $100 /sq ft. I think.

Good thing you woke up!

During the cold weather I sleep in the living-room on a couch so I can just crack one eye open and check the fire. Can't get a real good sleep that way but the fire can't get away on me or go out before I find out.

Have trouble imagining the pain of burned feet and legs.

Glad you are OK.

Back