Making a new orange tree from old one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooie

Reaction score
How can you a new orange tree from old one

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and I have a question.
Is there a way to start a new tree from an existing tree? What we have is an old (about 20 to 40 year old) but helathy orange tree at my sister's house which she is selling in Sacramento CA. This orange tree has the kind of oranges we had all over our neighborhood growing up in Oroville CA. We don't see those kind of oranges anymore, so this tree was a treat to have for awhile. We would like to start some new trees from it if it can be done to take with us. The oranges are seedless, huge, juicy, sweet and have very thick easy to peel skins that smell wonderful. I don't know what kind it is, I just know that it's the only tree I know of that makes oranges like we used to be able to get all the time but can't anymore. Can we do it like taking a cutting from a plant and starting it?
We can't afford cloning I don't think, nor transplanting.

Thanks
Wooie

Last edited:
Navel?

Wooie, what you are describing is a navel orange. If you think you have an exceptional tree it can probably grafted onto a new rootstock. Talk to a LOCAL nursery who does lots of citrus.

HTH Dave.

You could also when contacting the nurseries inquire with them about propagating the tree from cuttings under a mist system. That way you could get the ball rolling on saving the particular variety that the tree is and then work on putting it on an appropriate rootstock later.

Some nurseries might simply tell you they dont graft trees but I'm sure most understand misting.

You could set up your misting system if need be. I did my own and its not very difficult.

Back