Making kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friend that is the most inefficient use of a peace of firewood i have ever seen. cant wate tell tomarrow and slice some myself i just love it

I think it's very efficient. Cut some 1" cookies to warm up for the chainsaw races next weekend, then make noodles that are match light kindling, then saw off the precut slabs and use them for chunks of kindling as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of it, as you will tomorrow.

What's important is finding a piece of nice, dry, easy to light wood to use. To tell the truth, this chunka chunk of burnin kindlin would never have made it to the wood stove in a normal year. It would have gone up in smoke in the burn pit, only warming those standing around it holding a beer.

I get my kindling the lazy mans way. I collect the dead branches and such that fall. The real small stuff, smaller than pencil lead start right up on left over coals. A little larger stuff to keep it going and to get the firewood caught up. I put everything in place and with doing anymore the fire is going in about 5 minutes. But I still stick a small piece of fat lighter in at the bottom just to smell it. Plus it give a small fire a good roar or a punch in the gut. :smile2:

Where do I store it? Some on the hearth but most in a old wood box caster oil came in, and that in a fire box I got at an antique auction.

I get my kindling the lazy mans way. I collect the dead branches and such that fall. The real small stuff, smaller than pencil lead start right up on left over coals. A little larger stuff to keep it going and to get the firewood caught up. I put everything in place and with doing anymore the fire is going in about 5 minutes. But I still stick a small piece of fat lighter in at the bottom just to smell it. Plus it give a small fire a good roar or a punch in the gut. :smile2:

Where do I store it? Some on the hearth but most in a old wood box caster oil came in, and that in a fire box I got at an antique auction.

Fat lighter?? As in Fatwood??? AKA "Pine knot"?? Man I wish I had some of that stuff around here...

Hedgerow.........yeah, it's all the same stuff. Most of mine are off stumps left on my place probably 25 years before I bought. I've been here 25. I found one piece in the bottoms area here that is about 10 long and 6 inches in diameter. 'Bout as heavy as a railroad tie. Solid fat lighter. That's gonna really split nice. I have enough stuff here for probably everybody on here for their life time. I know, not counting what I've gotten up, 40 more stumps about 36 inch's across. They're down 3 or 4 feet. :smile2:

Since having a hyd splitter for several years any time i split with a mall mostly all i git is kindlin. Oh well, heatin with an OWB you don't need a lot of it. Somebody needs to take this mall fore i break anuther handle or hurt myself.
Speakin of cedar, i see the pollen on some of it, seems early but this has been a weird winter.

Since having a hyd splitter for several years any time i split with a mall mostly all i git is kindlin. Oh well, heatin with an OWB you don't need a lot of it. Somebody needs to take this mall fore i break anuther handle or hurt myself.
Speakin of cedar, i see the pollen on some of it, seems early but this has been a weird winter.

It'll be March before ya know it... We'll all be sweatin' our asses off again...
:msp_angry:

Back