Making small slabs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was at my mothers in laws house in Lucern valley. Its high desert, hot in summer, cold in winter. She was recently widowed and my wife and I were helping her on her property. She burns wood for cooking, heating, and showering. My Father in law had a lot of uncut logs there so I was cutting them up and splitting them with a mawl. It was mostly pine and well dried. I wanted to find some hard wood for her and was searching around for some when I came across some old wood bleached white from the sun. I put my 038 to it and though I must of dulled my saw. When I made it throu the piece I was cutting on, I saw a dark rich color. I go to pick up a piece and its maybe the densest wood Iv ever handled. Come to find out its desert Ironwood. I ask the crazy old bi*#@, I mean my mother in law if I can take some home. She doesn't want to give any up, she says one piece will burn all night. After working for hours cutting and splitting wood. she lets me have two pieces, but she's not happy.
I get rather long winded so bare with me. I try to sand some when I got home to check out the grain, This stuff is rightly named. I break out the sawz all and cut me out a small block of it. I want to make some scales for knifes. Is there a trick to making matching slabs? I have a peice 2x3x6 cut out from the heart. I need a clean split down the middle. Sawz all breaks and chips it. Looks like a band saw could work if I had one. I'm tempted to split it with a chisel.
How is two matching slabs made in such a hard wood for grips or knife handles?
I am going to try to trade some euc or oak to her for rest that Iron wood. Seems a shame to just burn it.View attachment 271159View attachment 271160View attachment 271161 Some photos of the wood and the area where it grows.

Ship it out to me and I will cut it on my bandsaw for you. I dont know the exact charitoristics of iron wood, but it may crack when dried if you dont cut the heartwood right.

I appreciate the offer,but shipping would cost more then the piece is worth I think. Ironwood is the hardest wood there is, or thats what I read. Its so dense it doesn't float. Most of all it's heavy.
I will try to find someone local, that's not to say I might not still take you up on it if I can't find someone near by. I have a folder (pocket knife)I am making that would look mighty nice with scales made from this wood.
The wood seems pretty cured and been sitting outside for maybe years in the desert. It's already kind of full of cracks, but there is a lot of good solid pieces in it. Again thanks for the offer.
Wade

Latest posts

Back