Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backtroller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys, I am looking for a larger saw, larger than my 034AV and found this makita for sale locally. It has a 28" factory bar. Supposedly it runs well and it looks clean from the pictures. The guy selling it is not the original owner. He is asking $275. Is that a decent price if it runs good and isn't scored?

Was thinking of putting a larger top end on it from someone like baileys evemtually. Thanks in advance for opinions and suggestions.

Or you could head over to Home Depot and buy a used one there... same saw, average price. The 28" bar on a 60cc saw may be a little much, but from your site name (backtroller) your from the PNW and that's about right for a bar on softwood. I'd run a 24" unless you change the topend.

Backtroller is the model of my boat.

Midwest. Cutting oak, ash, birch, ash, big willows, and big silver maples. Yes I'd stick with a 24" without the upgrade.

That's a lot of bar for that saw stock, as stated above. When I had one I ran the 20" ?? on mine and it was great. For the money very hard to beat setup and you can put other OEM top ends on the saw to hop it up fairly cheap. The only draw back on the 6400 platform is the oiler I believe that 28" is max and that is pushing it If I remember correctly the oiler can not be upgraded, But I could be wrong I sure someone will chime in shortly to correct me if I am.

Stock would it be noticeably better than my 034AV (low hours, 175psi) each fitted with a 20" bar to make an apples to apples comparison?

Oiler can be modded pretty easy to get more oil flow. There's been several guys running 28" bars on them stock.

That saw posted in the classifieds here (for that price) would go relatively quickly.

I'm going to see it tomorrow and if it looks good I'll take it. I'm not looking to make $ on it just wanted a more powerful saw.

Mdavlee, are details for the oiler mod fairly easy? I'll try to search the forum for it

I know nothing about makita/dolmar bars. Do they have different sizes like the Stihl 3005 and 3003? Are Makita/Dolmar the best brand besides a Cannon or big dollar name?

Guys, I am looking for a larger saw, larger than my 034AV and found this makita for sale locally. It has a 28" factory bar. Supposedly it runs well and it looks clean from the pictures. The guy selling it is not the original owner. He is asking $275. Is that a decent price if it runs good and isn't scored?

Was thinking of putting a larger top end on it from someone like baileys evemtually. Thanks in advance for opinions and suggestions.

It is a little heavy for a 64cc saw, very light for a 79cc saw if you put the big top end on it. One thing, since it has the same stroke as the bigger saws it cuts "big" for 64cc's, pretty good torque. I like mine. I'd like the 28" bar. I think it will oil it adequately and it would save some bending limbing. I'm running full comp stihl chain, RSC, and my 6401 pulls it pretty good in most anything running the 20" bar. I suspect that you will have to be light handed or think about running half or full skip chain if you bury the 28" bar regularly.

Hu

Yeah that sounds like an average price. Two 6421s sold for $215 ea at a Delaware HD and another sold for $265 at a Maryland HD (the one I bought, just missed out on the Delaware saws). I like my saw so far, pretty smooth cutting machine.

Passed on the saw. The serial number was etched or scribed on. No model plate. Seemed sketchy and if I would ever feel the need to sell it I don't know how comfortable I would feel about passing it on the someone else.

With that said, anything have a similar saw preferably a stihl for sale ?

Latest posts

Back