Makita 6421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraChevelle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I think I got lucky, my new 6421 will be in on Friday, I bought it from factory authorized outlet through Amazon for $439 - $100 in Amazon gift cards so spent $339 total. I guess this saw is being replaced by a different model and going up in price?? The newer one coming out is orange now. Selling anywhere from $625 to $699. I guess the dolmar name is going away and just using the makita name?

I have have some questions.

1.) what is the best oil to run in this saw? I been ready stihl is the best? But no one said anything about using it in a different brand. I was also thinking amsoil since I been happy with there product for my car/truck. Right now I have a cheap craftsman 50cc and I use craftsman synthetic oil with no ethanol fuel.

2.) does this saw come lean from the factory because of epa? I know some other brands they did this.

3.) anything else I should look into?

Thanks

Oil is all hypothetical and lots of people running their mouths. Dolmar/Stihl/Makita/ husky synthetic oil at 40:1 is just fine... No need buy super high end oil to protect your investment but don't buy cheap crap either.

Carb settings should be good from factory but I always check rpm in the cut and tune as necessary...,

Nothing else needed. Saw is a solid performer strait out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think I got lucky, my new 6421 will be in on Friday, I bought it from factory authorized outlet through Amazon for $439 - $100 in Amazon gift cards so spent $339 total. I guess this saw is being replaced by a different model and going up in price?? The newer one coming out is orange now. Selling anywhere from $625 to $699. I guess the dolmar name is going away and just using the makita name?

I have have some questions.

1.) what is the best oil to run in this saw? I been ready stihl is the best? But no one said anything about using it in a different brand. I was also thinking amsoil since I been happy with there product for my car/truck. Right now I have a cheap craftsman 50cc and I use craftsman synthetic oil with no ethanol fuel.

2.) does this saw come lean from the factory because of epa? I know some other brands they did this.

3.) anything else I should look into?

Thanks
what @nstueve said x2. one thing to note if you switch to the Amsoil saber oil in that saw....stay with 50:1, any other oil and i am in the 40:1 camp but since the saber is designed to run at ratio's of 80-100:1 any more oil than 50:1 tends to start leaving excessive carbon in my experience

and yes the blue makita is being replaced by a red/orange makita 6421 and going up in price somewhat so i assume they were just dumping old inventory to get ready for the new, that was a fantastic deal BTW.

Yeah, I actually sent him a PM last night, and he sent me the link to the place that had it priced like that. They've gone back up :(

Mike

I did some looking yesterday on amsoil website and I was a little shocked there saber oil said 100 - 1. I know they have there own brand " makita oil" maybe I'll look into that.

I did some looking yesterday on amsoil website and I was a little shocked there saber oil said 100 - 1. I know they have there own brand " makita oil" maybe I'll look into that.
saber will work at 100:1 in trimmers and blowers but its just a bad idea in a chainsaw. I have run saber for the last 4-5 yrs without issue at ratio's from 40:1 up to 60:1. 40:1 seemed to leave a tar like residue with it so i tried other ratio's. settled on 50:1 because i am old school and just cant bring myself to run any less oil. All other brands of oil i run at 40:1.

Got in on that same deal and received my saw yesterday! Have a couple questions for those with 6421 experience. Do you have to remove the cad in the muffler to achieve best performance? Is there other epa crap inside that Muffler some have called it a exhaust recirculation device? Does the saw get too hot if you leave the cad in? Can't help but comment on the oil thing. I use redline racing oil in all of my 2 strokes and have NEVER burned down a motor. Redline leaves no deposits at any ratio. Check it out. You will like their 2 stroke oils!

Latest posts

Back