Makita 9100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just been given a big Makita DCS 9010 to try out, it has powerful 90cc motor and has long stroke charachteristics which is ideal for milling.

On the first couple of cuts she performed very well, just as good as my 660 but at half the price of a 660, she has the same bar pattern as the big Stihl's using 3/8" or 404 chain.

First impressioms look really good, and with German engineering at its heart, it looks to be a real alternative to the big Stihl,s, with that I would definately recommend one to any first time would-be miller.

Anyone else out there using one of these big Dolmars/Makita.

while I'm not using one, I have been looking at them. Keep us informed as to how it works for you

Reporting in on the 9010 Dolmar

First impressions are very good, I'm comparing the Dolmar to two other saws I have, the Sthil 660, and Efco 199 Pro, using their standard bar and chains.

The Efco has a 100cc's and is equivalent to the others in the power and similarly priced as the Stihl, but is my least faviorite because of its size, much more clumsy.

Performance from the Dolmar is slightly better than the Stihl in that it has more torque and fares better when cutting wider boards, the Stihl has slightly more power, but its how each saw puts down that power.

My overall choice is for the Dolmar, its a full 200 pound cheaper than the others, giving you the chance to go out and buy my choice of bar (the big Cannon 50") with the 325 conversion, making things even better in the speed and width stakes.

The Dolmar is a good choice for those who cannot afford the big 880 Stihl prices, the Dolmar is also a better choice for those who might be worried about 325 chain stretch, which the 880 can do if used roughly.

The Dolmar has the same bar fitting as the Stihl MS 880, so anyone using an 880, wanting a second saw need not buy a seperate bar.

So the Dolmar with a 50" bar converted to 325, is more than a match of a Stihl 880 using the 404 bar and chain, if you shop around you can get two Dolmar heads and the 50" bar for a little over the price of a sandard 880 and 404 42" bar.

Thanks for the report. Great timing, too. I'm considering investing in a second milling saw.

The Dolmar has the same bar fitting as the Stihl MS 880, so anyone using an 880, wanting a second saw need not buy a seperate bar.

They are not the same bars...You can put the Stihl bar on the Dolmar, but you cannot put the Dolmar large mount on the Stihl. The oil holes will have to be redrilled if using the Stihl bar on the Dolmar. The dolmar mount bar will not work with most brands of bars because the heel of the bar is smaller than that of the Stihl and doesn't have enough material to put the correct location oil hole.

Do you have a picture of that Efco?

So the Dolmar with a 50" bar converted to 325, is more than a match of a Stihl 880 using the 404 bar and chain, if you shop around you can get two Dolmar heads and the 50" bar for a little over the price of a sandard 880 and 404 42" bar.

I'm really not trying to start anything, I'm just trying to get some clarification. I thought dolmars had same mounting as a large husky????

I'm really not trying to start anything, I'm just trying to get some clarification. I thought dolmars had same mounting as a large husky????

Last and final comment on this thread

I have nothing more to add to this thread, all I can say to your question is, go and try things out for yourself as I have done, then you will have your answers, no hard fellings from the UK.

Latest posts

Back