• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Makita DCS5200i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking for a Makita DCS5200i to go along with my DCS4300i. Would prefer to find a saw in Canada, but would consider a saw from anywhere worldwide if the price including shipping is reasonable.

I have a 520i that I picked up a few months ago and haven't done anything with. It runs and doesn't appear to need much, but I haven't gone through it in detail yet. Not in Canada, though.

Different saw. 520 is fairly common and I can find a couple locally. DCS520i is the same as the Dolmar 111 as far as I know. The DCS5200i is the same as the Dolmar 115i.

Thanks

Yep, from what I found when searching the 520 is open-port and the 5200 is closed. Otherwise I think they're pretty much the same. Good luck with the search.

I have a 520 that I converted to a 5200i. It actually had the close port cylinder (some did) and I added the injection carb. Plus it is ported and muffler modded. Runs strong. Here's a video before I added the injection carb. It's a little stronger now even. It is in good shape with low hours.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-d5rJTrzk&ved=0ahUKEwjl0ZKc5bvSAhWi3oMKHf87Ag4Qo7QBCBowAA&usg=AFQjCNGF4PYs6sqdutWgY9dDq3MWH6NxPQ&sig2=VEnsbdvivSbXZIr03c2dhgI

I also have a red version PS540 converted to a 115i and modded. It cuts almost identically. It appears to have a little more run time on it though.

I'd consider selling either, with or without bar and chain. I have some new GB 16 and 18" bars that fit it.

Interested? I still have an almost new PS540 and another 115 piston and cylinder so I'd be willing to part with either of the other two.

I would really like to find an actual 5200i if I can. Not so much for the increased performance over the 520i, just for the uniqueness of it and it would go well with my 4300i. I will definitely keep your 5201i conversion in mind though. I watched your vid and it runs well keeping up with the Dolmar, and looks like it is in good condition like you said. Thanks for replying, Chris

Yeah, the sticker and tag will say DCS520. And the oiler is driven off the clutch. The original 115/115i oiler was driven off the crank. I'm not sure about the DCS5200i. Dolmar PS540 is clutch driven so my 115i conversion is that way as well.

Great running saw though. And they are one of the best starting saws out there. If you change your mind let me know.

I'm not sure about the 5200i, but my 4300i has the oil pump driven by the clutch. But I have seen a parts diagram that shows both a clutch driven pump, and a crank driven pump, so I just assumed at some point during their manufacture they switched to the clutch driven pump. Mine has the 2 shoe clutch, but I am switching it to the 3 shoe clutch as soon as it arrives. And mine also has the oil leak, and once I stripped the saw down and had a look at the oil line coming out of the tank it is pretty obvious why they leak. It is a very loose fit and is either a poor design, or the line gromet has shrunk quite a bit. And the line going to the bar oil slot isn't the best design either, but there isn't much I can do about that.

I picked this saw up on a whim as it was very cheap, and like you said, it starts and runs great. Now I have the bug to get it's bigger brother, and who knows if that will be enough, or if it is only the start. Something about these blue saws...

I try not leave oil in them if they sit for long. They do like to mark their territory.

If you like the older blue saws, pick up a DCS390 if you can find one. Light weight saws that weigh about the same as a top handle saw. If you want to go bigger, can't beat the Dolmar 7900 or its blue equivalent. I only use mine once in a while but it always makes me grin.

Looking for a Makita DCS5200i to go along with my DCS4300i. Would prefer to find a saw in Canada, but would consider a saw from anywhere worldwide if the price including shipping is reasonable.

Hi, Check Kijiji in Montreal area. there's one there listed this morning for $250. I called lady and she said it was a 520i .... I already have a 111! Comes with a case to boot!

Thanks Schmams

I had a look at it but I am still trying to find an actual 5200i. I am not in a hurry, but if I haven't found one in a few months I will likely contact TonyM and see if he still has his 520i for sale.

Chris

I got a line on a DCS5200i so let's see if it works out. Many, many thanks to Schmams as he has helped me get to this point and I couldn't have got this far without his assistance.

So a big thumbs up to a fellow Arboristsite member - Schmams!:cheers::rock::clap:

Latest posts

Back