Mall 7H

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got an old Mall 7H 2-man yesterday, and another early version Mac 3-25. Don't see how the old-timers lugged these around the woods, even with two men doin' the luggin'.... It's my second Mall.... I got a 2MG a week or so ago. The 7 is complete except for the recoil and cover. This is gonna be a whole new learning curve for me.... There's some quarter-inch pits in the bottom of the aluminum casing. Anyone got any tips for filling them before painting?

Old Mac Guy

Old Mac Guy said:
There's some quarter-inch pits in the bottom of the aluminum casing. Anyone got any tips for filling them before painting?

Old Mac Guy

Well,

I would suggest treating it similar to an automobile. When a car gets smacked up, body shops fill small dents that they can't remove with body filler. This isn't your Wal-Mart 'Bondo' brand body filler, they use good stuff - I know it is a generalization, but there are so many GOOD products on the market now, 1 brand in particular really can't be argued as the best. I do know RAGE always worked great, resists pinholes if you don't mix it to kick excessively fast, and the owner of the shop I worked in kept buying it! You could also use epoxy, or even JB weld. Body filler will be the easiest to apply and sand though!

Thanks for the ideas, FourPaws. I've got some NAPA bondo.... don't know if it's quality is good or not for thin and shallow aluminum filling.... may try it on an old aluminum pressure cooker bottomfirst. Also have JB Weld. Will try 'em both ans see which works better....

Thanks, Scott. Good to know.

Only 14 more posts and I'll be able to put up a "starter assembly wanted" post in the marketplace forum. I won't make junk posts just to get to 50.

This old Mall was sitting outdoors next to a shed on a couple of boards and under a piece of plywood. While it was somewhat protected from the elements, its bolts and screws are gonna need some careful treatment in disassembly. The first thing for me is going to be soaking all connectors for a few days, then carefully taking it all apart. I'm sure I'll probably find a whole list of needed parts....

The Mac 3-25 I got with it is in similar shape..... It's a low-serial-number 3-25, but not the very early two-button version. It is the kind which had the removable medallion and the solid diamond-shaped cover on the gear-box.... no sight-glass. I've got a few other 3-25's and will eventually maybe use this one and one other to make a whole, restored saw.

But it's the Mall which I know is going to be a major project. Other collectors say they're rather common and you can find them here and there.... but it's my first 2-man saw and I want to make this baby shine!!!

I'll post up some progress reports as I go.....

Hello Old Mac....

from another Mall owner! :chainsaw:

I've got a running model 12a (one man) with a 24" bar. The thing sure is a beast and I'm glad I never had to make a living with it! :clap:

Sure is fun to play with though. About the knarliest sounding 2 stroke I've ever heard.

Enjoy!

dave

Back