McCulloch CP70 - Need help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a McCulloch CP70 from an estate sale that hasn't seen much use. I'd say it's a 9 out of 10. I have a Mac Super 250 that I fool around with a little sometimes, but it's like carrying a mine sweeper anchor. Fun to run but not fun to lug. Anyway, I generally always go for Stihls and have way too many of those now, but have become a little fascinated with the old American Iron lately, guess just for a little variety. I saw the CP70 in the basement and kinda tinkered around with it a little, pulling the starter cord to check compression and discovered it was very weak. Otherwise, it looked to be in really really good shape. Also had an original McCulloch bar & chain. I had never seen or even heard of one of these. Figured maybe somebody had straight gassed it or something, and it would be another one to take apart and learn a little. Anyway, he said he'd take $20. for it, so naturally I brought it home...started really looking at it closely, and discovered it had a funky looking little wire lever on the right side, above the muffler that could rest in one of two notches in a small frame in which it was mounted. OK, internet time. Found out this fairly compact saw was 70cc!! Had no earthly idea. From it's size, it looked like maybe something in the 50cc range. OK, I'm really interested now. Found out the wire contraption is a lever for a compression release! Now I can see why it was so weak on compression but looked so good - the compression release was in! So I start seeing what all I need to do to get it running. The guy said it was his dad's, but that he thought it had seen little use and had been sitting for years. Made sense, since his dad had just passed at 87 years old. He said he had tried to start it but got nowhere...
Just got it apart this morning and I see why...2 reasons actually. One, was that the wire from the switch on the handle had become unplugged inside the recoil housing. It was just laying next to the coil. Two, was the old gas. It must have sat for at least 10+ years with about a half a tank of gas in it. Smelled awful when I got the cap off. More like paint varnish than gas. Of course, the fuel line and filter were like a semi petrified slimey noodle. The carburetor box side of the line was almost new looking, so I'm thinking/hoping that the carb wasn't full of this crap too. When I pulled the fuel line off of the carb nipple, there was no fuel in it. Haven't gotten into the carb yet but did go ahead and order a rebuild kit for it...So I need an OE fuel line for it. Would like to have the same kind of filter they use too, just for correctness, but that part really is no big deal. The fuel line is the thing right now...Anybody out there know where these can be had? Looks pretty specific to these kind of saws. I did see where some guy on Ebay had one for 25. bucks + almost 5. bucks shipping, but I don't plan on giving somebody 30 bucks for a 4" piece of molded rubber, I don't care how rare it is. You'd think it was a Stihl part! Anybody know if these lines can be had aftermarket? Really looking forward to firing this old girl up when I get the fuel situation sorted out. Looks like a really well built and substantial piece of equipment. Also, any good ideas on how to really clean out the inside of the gas tank? It looks like this old fuel was causing whatever they use to coat the inside of these tanks to buckle up and feel gummy to the touch. Did they paint these on the inside? Looks for all the world just like the paint on the outside...Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

A fuel line from any 10 series, 700 and 800 series should work.
On the gas tank try soaking some awesome cleaner in it for a while but rinse it very well.

Put a new or clean fuel filter on and don't worry too much about the inside of the tank. Fresh fuel may dissolve some of that. IF enough flakes off so that it blocks up your filter, then rinse out the tank and start over with a clean filter.
On really nasty tanks, I've used a handful of BBs to shake around and knock all the loose scale free and then flush it out.

Thanks guys for the advice. The grommet and carb end of the line look as new, it's just the inside the tank part that's destroyed. Had not yet occurred to me to try to re-use the grommet and thread different line thru it - a great idea! Also like the idea of using an abrasive agent inside the tank, maybe with a little carb/choke cleaner to get it cleaned up. Sure beats giving 30 bucks for a little piece of rubber! I'm a little eager to get this thing going. It really looks like quality. Some of the fasteners, etc., a little crude by today's standards, but still rock solid. When I finally figured out how to get the tank off, I could see that the original paint on the cylinder and crankcase is just pristine. Same for in, under and around the flywheel. It is obviously used but while it did have some degree of old sawdust/oil in the areas where you always find it on any saw, I really don't think this saw has seen much use, and it must be 40+ years old...very interesting to take apart, compared to the usual Stihl fare that I used to.

I love my CP-70! Like My CP-55 too. the intake boot is the same as the 800 series too aswell as the SP60 SP70 and SP80/81. These where Mccullochs first anti-vibe saws. The CP-70L (left hand start) and the CP-125 where the only four of the Cushioned Power mac family.

IMG_20140407_214541.jpg IMG_20140207_155636.jpg

There are many e-bay options for the fuel line, use OEM as the aftermarket type can be a bit stiff.

You can get the OEM line and filter from customchainsawparts for $10 + shipping.

The CP70 is a great saw, I have both CP70 and CP70L in the collection but I use my 7-10 and SP70 more, preserve the history on the others.

Mark

I think I'm going to really like this saw. The old McCullochs are beginning to interest me more. I believe, because they are not so common and because the more I look at them and take them apart the more the engines appear to me to be built just like a miniature car engine. The reciprocating parts, cylinders, etc. are just really great quality. They were obviously made to last a long time with minimal trouble. So nice to see something that's not "throw away" when you've used it a few times! Thanks again for the advice on the fuel line. I do like to stick to OEM parts for my Stihl stuff and believe I will do the same, if possible, for any McCulloch saws I luck up on. I've ordered small parts from Custom Chain Saw parts several times in the past, so I'll be ordering the fuel line today...Hope I can find a few more of these pieces of American iron in the future. Looking forward to taking some more of them apart and seeing how they tick...

Back