All this for fuel lines… plus a fuel line question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landfakers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I climb less than 5 times a year so my trusty 338xpt has always been more than adequate for me. Had a hard life before me but has been great. Well went to go climb a pine last week and it just wouldn’t run. Ran through all my regular easy stuff and decided to throw a carb kit on it (original from 04’) and had to dive wayyyy deeper than I thought after discovering some very weak and cracked fuel lines…IMG_8772.jpeg
Question for you guys, for the line inside the tank would it be a poor idea to use the clear fuel line inside the tank and to the filter? I figure they use the black for a reason? Have plenty of clear on hand but would have to order some of the black stuff if needed. Just wondering. Thanks for any help as usual guys

Thanks for responses guys I will hold off until I get the correct line then.
Yes looks 3x5 but I will double check before ordering

Actual Husky line is more like 3x5.2ish. I wish echo was slightly larger OD but it still works ok. Lasts 7-8+ years from what I can see
Think I would be wise to get the 3x6 and make it fit? Last thing I want to do it tear this down again in the short term for a leak behind the bar plate etc

Think I would be wise to get the 3x6 and make it fit? Last thing I want to do it tear this down again in the short term for a leak behind the bar plate etc
I don’t think the 3 x 6 would fit through the gas tank. And if you got it to fit, I believe it would be constricted so much that it might possibly pinch off. But I’ve never tried it. If you do it, let us know your results

Any of you guys use Tygon fuel hose and if you do, does it last ok? I'm thinking my 45 year old 028 probably needs new fuel lines. Probably on borrowed time... keep in mind I only run canned gas, 50-1 Echo Red Armor. No weasel pee and oil bottles for me. Don't run them enough to mix my own so the expensive Red Armor isn't an issue for me.

The 028 uses a molded fuel line. NLA from Stihl last I checked. Don't buy a cheap one off the internet. Be hard in weeks. I got the last ones from Rotary or Sunbelt.
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks. I take it Tygon won't work then? I have 2 bulk rolls of different diameters on the shelf in the shop presently. I use it on my lawn machines and engine powered stuff because the e-gas I run them on eats the fuel lines that come with them, up and makes them mushy after a period of time. The Tygon hose don't have that issue. I really dislike e-gas in general because I have to either drain the fuel systems or add a dose of Marine Stabil to each tank and top them off when they sleep over the winter here. Non e-gas (called Rec Fuel) here is kind of hard to get, nearest station that dispenses it is 40 miles from here and it's priced substantially above premium e-gas as well and we all know or I believe we know that switching grades on a single nozzle pump, you always wind up with whatever is in the hose and nozzle whether you want it or not. No choice other than dumping the contents on the ground which is environmentally a no-no today.

I climb less than 5 times a year so my trusty 338xpt has always been more than adequate for me. Had a hard life before me but has been great. Well went to go climb a pine last week and it just wouldn’t run. Ran through all my regular easy stuff and decided to throw a carb kit on it (original from 04’) and had to dive wayyyy deeper than I thought after discovering some very weak and cracked fuel lines…View attachment 1140207
Question for you guys, for the line inside the tank would it be a poor idea to use the clear fuel line inside the tank and to the filter? I figure they use the black for a reason? Have plenty of clear on hand but would have to order some of the black stuff if needed. Just wondering. Thanks for any help as usual guys
I have two of those and two of the earlier xpt top-handles. All of mine have what I would describe as a "corkscrew-shaped" (goes around in circles) fuel line inside the tank. In my experience (fwiw) it matters, because the line gets the filter to "lie" correctly along the bottom of the tank, and gets the inlet back to where it is "happy" after the user has turned the saw (on its side / upside down / whatever). Not to be nosy or picky, etc. but I think you would be happier if you used the Husqvarna-style original style /type line. Even if you only climb once a year... (I would say that line is a "solution" (in effect) to the interior shape of the tank.)

I have two of those and two of the earlier xpt top-handles. All of mine have what I would describe as a "corkscrew-shaped" (goes around in circles) fuel line inside the tank. In my experience (fwiw) it matters, because the line gets the filter to "lie" correctly along the bottom of the tank, and gets the inlet back to where it is "happy" after the user has turned the saw (on its side / upside down / whatever). Not to be nosy or picky, etc. but I think you would be happier if you used the Husqvarna-style original style /type line. Even if you only climb once a year... (I would say that line is a "solution" (in effect) to the interior shape of the tank.)
I was wondering why the stock photos came up with a curly line when I was looking up stock parts for it... this makes sense so maybe a stocker would be best. Off to Fleabay I go... Thanks for the help

Going to order up some 3x5 to keep on hand as well for other saws/equip now that I know the clear stuff is no bueno inside tanks

I'll take that under advisement. Thanks. I take it Tygon won't work then? I have 2 bulk rolls of different diameters on the shelf in the shop presently. I use it on my lawn machines and engine powered stuff because the e-gas I run them on eats the fuel lines that come with them, up and makes them mushy after a period of time. The Tygon hose don't have that issue. I really dislike e-gas in general because I have to either drain the fuel systems or add a dose of Marine Stabil to each tank and top them off when they sleep over the winter here. Non e-gas (called Rec Fuel) here is kind of hard to get, nearest station that dispenses it is 40 miles from here and it's priced substantially above premium e-gas as well and we all know or I believe we know that switching grades on a single nozzle pump, you always wind up with whatever is in the hose and nozzle whether you want it or not. No choice other than dumping the contents on the ground which is environmentally a no-no today.
You may be able to enlarge the hole in the top of the tank to 10mm and use a hose from a different Stihl saw that is still available. I converted a bunch of 026s with the 8mm tank hole to 10mm and used the MS260 fuel hose.

Latest posts

Back