044 fuel pick-up won't

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottnc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Replaced all the fuel lines with new Stihl parts when building the saw. I have recently noticed the tune-up sounds like it needs tweeking over the course of a tank of gas. I scored two solid to the core red oak trees of 37' to 42" diameter that have sat just long enough there is almost no red oak smell when cutting indicating it is on the dry side, it's giving the saw a real workout. A full tank lasts from just over three to four rounds but not because the tank is empty. The last half tank I start hearing lean/rich at WOT depending on the altitude of the saw and it will sometimes stall going to idle coming out of the wood. Looking inside the tank the filter is not staying on the bottom of the tank but is flopping around. It's as though there should be a clip of some sort to hold the thing in place. I talked to the dealer I bought the parts from, his shop guy said some of the 044's had a problem with that back in the day but offered no solution. First day of cutting up this tree I cooked the top ring. Since then I have been real keen on listening to the tune and breathing the saw between shorter stays in the wood. This 044 has had some work done to it and is a real hoot to run even in this dense, almost dry red oak. I'd sure like to come up with a solution to wandering fuel pick up.

It's black. When the saw was acting up I pushed it down only to watch it raise right back back up. Reminded me of years past . . .

Green rings a bell but I didn't know why, not on this saw. The black Stihl replacement was a perfect match for the old one, color and all - might oughta put it back in?

It's black. When the saw was acting up I pushed it down only to watch it raise right back back up. Reminded me of years past . . .

Green rings a bell but I didn't know why, not on this saw. The black Stihl replacement was a perfect match for the old one, color and all - might oughta put it back in?
Green is the new OEM replacement line that is more resistant to ethanol and isn’t supposed to get hard over time. Last I checked they were only about $6 each at the dealer so it might be worth ordering a green one to try.

Check the pump side of the cauburetor for smoothness. Actually was an issue with these at one point from the factory. Wet sand with 600 or finer. Made a huge difference. If any corrosion though, carb is junk.

This is a 13mm piston pin saw but I don't recall mfg. year, it had a black pick-up hose in the tank and a plastic filter - no metal. I still have it saved as there was nothing wrong that warranted replacement, I put new OEM everything on the saw while it was apart. I will ask the local Stihl house about the green hose and plan on adding weight. I have a parts 044 saw, maybe it has the metal filter/clip.

stihltech - I'll have a look-see at the carb while fiddling with the tank. Your post reminded me, the saw had been sitting for several years. It supposedly ran good the last time it was used but pulling the muffler found the piston galled. First start after going through the rest of the saw found it wouldn't run worth a lick - no fuel. I had to raise the needle valve height before the saw would run. There is good control with both hi and lo side needles.

This is a 13mm piston pin saw but I don't recall mfg. year, it had a black pick-up hose in the tank and a plastic filter - no metal. I still have it saved as there was nothing wrong that warranted replacement, I put new OEM everything on the saw while it was apart. I will ask the local Stihl house about the green hose and plan on adding weight. I have a parts 044 saw, maybe it has the metal filter/clip.

stihltech - I'll have a look-see at the carb while fiddling with the tank. Your post reminded me, the saw had been sitting for several years. It supposedly ran good the last time it was used but pulling the muffler found the piston galled. First start after going through the rest of the saw found it wouldn't run worth a lick - no fuel. I had to raise the needle valve height before the saw would run. There is good control with both hi and lo side needles.
I think that there were 2 different types of fuel hoses. The older one hangs straight down into the tank. The new style is longer and has a kink. I think that these also had different size mounting holes 8mm vs. 10mm.

So if you put (forced) a new style hose into an old tank the line may be pinched where it goes through the tank. The other issue is that the longer kinked hoses were designed to be mounted into the tank with a specific rotation to make the hose hang the correct way in the tank. Either of these could cause you problems.

Stevesr- Thanks Steve, that bridge has been crossed and recrossed. The old line has the kink, the new one is rotated to compliment the kink so that in theory anyway, the filter would lay flat in the tanks center with the filter pointing forward. In practice the kink has too much kink (for lack of a better explaination) which has the line humped up like a camels back resulting in the filter pointing straight down. As the fuel level lowers the hose connection end of the filter is exposed.
Looked at my parts saw - it is a later model with the quarter turn oil and fuel caps. The fuel line for it must be pooched, the section in the tank is hard plastic and pinched flat like a squished straw. The end of it does not reach the tanks bottom either. I don't see how it ran. It has a cherry carb should I need one. An excellent cylinder and piston too, If a good crank and rod can be found I might ought to build the thing.

Stevesr- Thanks Steve, that bridge has been crossed and recrossed. The old line has the kink, the new one is rotated to compliment the kink so that in theory anyway, the filter would lay flat in the tanks center with the filter pointing forward. In practice the kink has too much kink (for lack of a better explaination) which has the line humped up like a camels back resulting in the filter pointing straight down. As the fuel level lowers the hose connection end of the filter is exposed.
Looked at my parts saw - it is a later model with the quarter turn oil and fuel caps. The fuel line for it must be pooched, the section in the tank is hard plastic and pinched flat like a squished straw. The end of it does not reach the tanks bottom either. I don't see how it ran. It has a cherry carb should I need one. An excellent cylinder and piston too, If a good crank and rod can be found I might ought to build the thing.
The fuel hose grommet has a flat edge that should align with a rib on the tank housing. Any chance that the hose is installed 180 degrees off? That would make it fit funny.

As I recall with mine the end of the pickup rests at the bottom of the tank towards the rear. As the saw is rotated it sweeps the bottom of the tank left and right of center. This was an improvement over the straight hanging pickups that often wouldn't touch the bottom of the tank after the rubber shrunk over time.

044 fuekl hose.JPG

Latest posts

Back