mall chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelite360

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how old a model 11 mall saw is:
Assembly number: 35440
Serial number: 911528

also can anyone tell me what it would be worth with all of the origional paint and decals and along with it comes a 3'bar and a 4' bar with 2 of the saw tooth style chains for each length it also has the stinger handel. if anyone knows how old it is or what it is worth please let me know. also does anyone have any expierence with mall saws.

Does it look something like this ...
malla.jpg

Mall model 11 was manufactured during 1950.
Judging by what people are paying for saws of that vintage and condition on ebay it is probably worth at least $250.00 U.S.
Mall was a major manufacturer of chain saws and power tools based in Chicago.
The picture attached by Kevin appears to be a Mall model 6.
A model 11 in the condition you descrive is a good find.
Mike Acres
Chain Saw Museum

mike -
That is what i figured about what it is worth. but i figuresd that i would ask people on this site to see what they would be worth. but i already have one model 11 and love the thing and i am working on getting this second one. but the first model 11 that i have still has the decal on the bar. and i was given the saw cause the old man knew i was intrested in them and he said that he was never going to use it again. he said that he had only ran a dozen tanks of gas through it or less. but this other one has a few more hours on it than the one that i have now but is in just as good condition.

I am buying a Mall Model 7H today, dated late 40's or early 50's. She is asking $250 for it, I will offer $200 and see if she takes it.

I'm buying it for my father. He was a logger in 1949 in British Columbia when he was 26. He says nobody he worked with used chain saws, they all used hand saws and axes, he hated chain saws and swore he would never use them because they were too heavy and did not cut as fast as hand saws. Even as a kid growing up and cutting trees, my father made us use axes and Swede saws (hand saws). Now he's 82 years old and just got his first chain saw a few years ago, now he finally admits they are better than hand equipment. So, I will get him a 1949 chain saw for his birthday!

(By the way I've gone through a few Husqvarnas and Jonsereds and swear I'll never use a hand saw thanks to my upbringing) ;)

Last edited:
Also, the www.totalhockey.ca web site says the 7H was made from 1953 to 1955, I was wondering why the model 11 was made before the model 7, unless maybe 7 was made before the 11 and then they added letters until they got to H in 1953. Was there a model 1 and when? Just curious. And what was the last 2 man model they made?

All the pieces are there, I doubt I will ever restore it but maybe.

Anybody who knows anything about 7H please scribe me here, I need to know more stuff.

:)

I dont have an H model of the model 7, but I DO own a 7 G, differnent somehow, but I'm not sure how jsut yet.

mall 2 man model 7H

serial # 731450

Got it for $200.

turns easily, lots of compression, smooth, bar turns 90 degrees easy not problem, oil pump works, spark plug is clean. The chain on the thing is the old fashioned pre-Oregon style chain so it cuts rather than chips the wood.

Everything is smooth, no rust. Throttle cable works, everything looks like it's been stored in somebody's living room with no dew or animal damage. Whatever is in the gas tank smells like turpentine but I bet if I drop the tank and clean out the fuel lines, this baby will start right up.

Only thing...when I turn the engine over the chain moves, how do you disengage the clutch? I don't want this thing to go crazy when it starts I might get cut.

sounds like the clutch springs may be gone on it. might need a new one of them. its got as centrifugical clutch as far as I know, so thats not supposed to happen. try taking the gearbox off, checking the clutch, and seeing if anything is missing/broke there.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Before I try to start the thing I would probably take the chain off anyway, God knows what might happen when a chain starts going 5000 RPM for the first time in 50 years and never been oiled. I'll probably take the gear box off too before I try to start it, or at least take the clutch out...too many variables if the gears get jammed in addition to the engine parts.

yes they have a centrifugal clutch, alot of times if they sit for a long period, the pads will stick but is an easy fix. Smart move to take the chain off at first start, when you do put the chain on, double check all the links for extreme wear or pitting from rust, its a big chain to come flying off. Shane

I bet the only reason the clutch is catching is the oil inside it has turned into tar and sludge. If I clean off the sludge it will be fine, but I wonder if the clutch has disintegrated by now. Raybestos is not forever like diamonds.

It's good to be careful, but don't worry too much about chain speed on this saw. The gear box reduces it a lot. As with any saw, keep a firm grip, and solid footing, especially on the helper handle. Clean the bar groove, and oil the chain. Keep it tight enough to takeup the slack. I have a 7 with scratcher chain. It's slower than McCulloch 7-55's in 20" wood, but in 30" wood, it's very close in speed to the MC. Have fun with it and be careful. Don't walk with the saw running. These things are heavy and clumsy. Be sure to let the powerhead get pulled up to the log by the chain. Let it glide down the log during the cut. Some guys try to pull the powerhead away from the log as it is cutting, but that is a loosing battle, and not the way the saw is meant to work. Just a few tips if you haven't run one before. Here is a link to a video of my Mall and some other 2-man saw videos.
http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=21508
Scott

Homelite360.I own a Mall 12 A.Starts runs and cuts great.I payed 75 bucks canadian.It has a mall chain on it.The cutters have Mall staped on them.A better more powerfull mall saw was the 2 m.g.Now there was a saw that would really cut wood.

The lady I bought the 7H from had a Mall 2 MG for sale, she was asking only $50 for it and it's in good shape. Her husband died and left her with old chain saws but don't let that make you think she is a pushover. She knows more about chains saws than 99% of men do.

Should I get her phone no for you if you want the 2 MG it would give me a chance to talk to her again she's gorgeous and foxy and needs a husband and she's only 50 same as me so this will give me a chance to talk to her again without looking like I'm just trying to hook up with her (even though I am)

Hello Morgin.No I have no need for a 2m.g.Or a lady.I all really have the best won going.No My dad and I sold Mall saws back in the 50s and the 2mg was a real power house.I think around 10 break h.p.They also had many attachments for it.Like pumps generators out drive so you could put it on a boat.They would run circles around a johnson 10 h.p.out board motor.Cant remeber what the price of them were, thats a long time ago.Ill be talking with my dad tomorrow maybe he can rember.Ill ask him ,hell be 85 in January.

Deer come onto my property to get away from hunters. They know they are safe here and they gather here every october. I don't know how they know it, but deer always know where there are no hunters like in the NY state parks you can see hundreds of them in october just standing there because they know they are safe cause there is no hunting in parks.

The yellow jackets, on the other hand, are not safe here. I am at war with those fuggin ground bees, I kill them by the thousands. I just wish you could eat them cause I'd be fat by now all the ones I've killed. Whatever happened to honey bees, ever since they went away all I have is these friggin yellow jacket ground bees that hurt like helll when they gang up on ya.

No I don't hunt deer. I only hunt women and ground bees. I have 30 acres in the adirondacks of NY. If you want wild turkeys I have hundreds passing through and you can shoot one for thanksgiving but Butterball is easier to chew./

Lol.Morgan your a hoot.Sorry your not a deer hunter but thats ok.To each his own.I like it, been huntin as far back as I can remeber.My dad got me started and been doing ever since.Good excuse for long walk on the soft moss,and to get in touch with nature.Winter meat in the freezer.Its a bad fall for the yellow jackets there bad here also.Lots of them.In the ground ,around the windows little holes in wood doors you name it ,there lookin for a place to get in to.Got turkey out back my place but I dont bother them .If I want turkey I just go buy one.Any ways she 1:30 pm here Im signing off talk to you again.Don.

Latest posts

Back