Managing Armillaria

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
http://www.tcia.org/Digital_Magazine...ag_May10LR.pdf

Page 22: Trees infected with Armillaria fungus can be treated by exposure and by inoculation with beneficial antagonists to that pathogen. This research proves the effectiveness of exposing the infected area and treating with beneficial microorganisms.

In addition, several studies in the forestry, phytopathology and ecology literature demonstrate the effectiveness of these treatments. Therefore, it seems that condemning trees in urban areas based on rhizomorphs without considering these simple therapeutic treatments may be needlessly costing those communities irreplaceable arboreal resources.

Would this lead any credence to the theory that Compost teas are beneficial in treating Armillaria? The theory being that the micro-organisms in the teas inoculate the tree. I have often wanted to give it a try, combined with root exposure, and changing any environmental conditions that could promote fungal growth.
Treeseer you have links to this information you could pass on?
Oh I see it now at the top.

Has anyone ever used it, I am curious to how it is applied.
When in SoCal, we would order in bugs from Hydroscape, lady bugs and these little aphid looking things that would eat white fly and bad aphids. It was hard for me to wrap around my brain that I was getting paid to let all these bugs go in someones property! With those, we just let some out, here and there, throughout the property, worked very well. This year with out garden, we are not using any chemicals, all natural, we made frog huts out of peat pots, turned them over cut in a door and soaked them, supposedly they are to attract frogs like mad, and then in return they will eat the bugs and draw in garden snakes, looking for them, who will also go after the bugs, damn jap beetles. I like the use of beneficial's, to many peeps are quick to drop chemicals with out any real investigation to what they are treating.

There's an old story somewhat along that line... I'm sure you know it. The lady involved ended up swallowing a horse ;-) We've got a long history of screwing things up in australia with introduced flora and fauna.

Yeah chemicals are an unnatural solution, but we've created an unnatural problem. The contrived ordered monoculture of the urban 'forest' is its own problem. Nature takes care of itself just fine, but you need all of it. The compexity of that system is well beyond what you can create in your backyard. It goes far beyond companion planting and use of bugs, it's a full ecosystem that holds itself in balance.

What we're stuck with as amenity tree workers is fixing the problems that we as people create.

Shaun

.....Yeah chemicals are an unnatural solution, but we've created an unnatural problem. The contrived ordered monoculture of the urban 'forest' is its own problem.................

What we're stuck with as amenity tree workers is fixing the problems that we as people create.

Shaun

The other unnatural piece we deal with is the expectation that stressed trees should not die...all while we put them under terrible stresses. Armillaria's "place in the world" is finishing off stressed trees, and we don't like that. So we need to find ways to deal with fighting off stressors.

Back