Maple and Red Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had a chance to get milling today after a bit of a break over the holidays and new year.

Went at a maple log, decided to go for 3" thick pieces this time instead of my usual 2 1/2". The rot in the middle was worse than I thought, I only wound up with two slabs.

168853d1295401868-p1030995small-jpg

168854d1295401887-p1030997small-jpg

Also took two 3" slabs from a 10' long piece of old growth red cedar, it was only just over a foot wide.

Milled up a few cookies for fun, then left all the bits beside the pathway to 'show off'!

168852d1295401849-p1030998small-jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Past couple days have been very pleasant, though it was a bit cooler today, probably only maybe 5 degrees C. Perfect for milling though while it lasts.

The beach is in Vancouver, it's called Spanish Banks.

Dan

And Elm!

I swore that I would not cut any more elm for a while, and I swore that I would not use my 60" bar and mill again without a helper.

So today I went and milled another piece off of an elm crotch with my 60" bar by myself in the snow. (OK, not a lot of snow, but still snow!)

I had it set up on quite a steep pitch and it sure made a big difference as BobL says it does - a lot less pushing and exertion on my part.

P1040029small.jpg

P1040032small.jpg

The only problem came at the end when I cut thru the end of the log and the 3" thick slab promptly slid down and trapped my saw and mill in the sand. Luckily another guy pulled up at just that moment and the two of us were, with some effort, able to get the slab up high enough to pull the mill out!

Dan

First post....sorry about the lack of 'intro'.

Was wondering if you have been able to sit back and re-think the final seconds of the cut that trapped your saw/mill in the sand? Have you 'mind engineered' a fix yet....and what is it?
I tried using a ratchet strap towards the top of the log to keep the slab from shifting, but it didn't come close to holding, and the slab slid anyway(luckily, it was much smaller and I just pulled it).

BTW, I agree....best view while working I have ever seen. I'm usually in a cow pasture looking at a big ole brown eye!!

Scott

Doug Fir and Maple

Had a couple friends come and help me at the beach today. Perfect weather, about 10º C, a mist hanging over the city and mountains.

Started out with a Douglas fir that was about 9' long and 3' wide. A huge old thing with growth rings so tight I could not distinguish them (even with my glasses on!) I'd had my eye on it for a while, but usually these larger pieces of the local species get shipped off to the mills pretty quick. However, this one had a bad case of ring shake and a twist, so I guess it was unloved.

Doug fir at start
P1040120small.jpg

Doug fir part way thru, showing 60" mill
P1040127small.jpg

After three fat slabs, all the way to the ring shake.
photo1.jpg

I may flip it and take more off the bottom, or even the sides. Seems like a shame to waste.

There was also a maple there, not sure what type. I don't think it was the local big leaf maple, it came from a local park. I had to trim it down to about 6' as one end of it was shattered. Started out like this,
P1040119small.jpg

And left it like this:
photo2.jpg

Could go back and get more of this one, was able to cut it with the 36" mill , although it was not tracking too well.

Finally, there was an unexpected guest part way thru the session. Local urban wildlife. Didn't see any bald eagles today though.
P1040122small.jpg

Dan

Finally, there was an unexpected guest part way thru the session. Local urban wildlife. Didn't see any bald eagles today though.
P1040122small.jpg

Dan, again you have posted great pictures from your milling escapades up North. Looked like Mr. Yote didn't want to stick around and lend a hand. Thanks again for the pictures.

jerry-

Had a couple friends come and help me at the beach today. Perfect weather, about 10º C, a mist hanging over the city and mountains.

Started out with a Douglas fir that was about 9' long and 3' wide. A huge old thing with growth rings so tight I could not distinguish them (even with my glasses on!) I'd had my eye on it for a while, but usually these larger pieces of the local species get shipped off to the mills pretty quick. However, this one had a bad case of ring shake and a twist, so I guess it was unloved.

Doug fir at start
P1040120small.jpg

Doug fir part way thru, showing 60" mill
P1040127small.jpg

After three fat slabs, all the way to the ring shake.
photo1.jpg

I may flip it and take more off the bottom, or even the sides. Seems like a shame to waste.

There was also a maple there, not sure what type. I don't think it was the local big leaf maple, it came from a local park. I had to trim it down to about 6' as one end of it was shattered. Started out like this,
P1040119small.jpg

And left it like this:
photo2.jpg

Could go back and get more of this one, was able to cut it with the 36" mill , although it was not tracking too well.

P1040122small.jpg

Dan

Hey man how do you get those huge logs up onto the other ones so you can cut them at an angle?

Thanks for sharing . I love all your pictures .Yeah the slabs of fir and the b.leaf maple just beautiful . Best regards and best wishes my friend.

Latest posts

Back