Maple Tree root collar excavation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hospcfo

Reaction score
I have a 20 yr old maple next to the patio. About 4 yrs ago the patio was redone and a retaining wall placed around the maple. At that time the dirt was placed too deep around the trunk. Last fall the tree had color/early drop and this spring really struggled to leaf out. Someone suggested carefully performing root collar excavation which has been done. My question is how long to wait to see if the tree will survive? Excavation was about 2 wks ago, at that time still had green in stems. Leafs that did come out have browned and I don't see any signs yet of new foliage yet.

That doesn't look promising...see if it refoliates.

How was RCX performed and by who? Pics from last year would have been great but such is life.

Yes, it certainly does not look promising. I did not understand why at the time but last year the foliage was much less dense than previous years and it dropped all leaves about 60 days early. This spring it had green top to bottom but as the leaves opened they soon browned. I consulted a local arborist. He is employed by the local government and unfortunately does not do site consultations. He advised me to try the rcx, so I did it by hand with a small trowel (no access to air spade). I don't know how long to watch for signs of new life before taking it down.

Scratch a small stem sith your thumbnail or pocket knife and look for green inner bark. I would guess that the tree is dead.

Latest posts

Back