Need advice on a struggling Maple tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringmusic24

Reaction score
Last year I noticed the maple tree in our front yard dropped some of its leaves early. This year it's far worse. An entire section of the tree is almost bare while the rest is still green. I did a tour of the neighborhood and all the maple trees in our area are still green and fully leafed. Also, the trunk of the tree has been black since we moved in a couple years ago, but now I'm starting to notice some cracking in the bark. It's also heavily marked with holes (the work of birds I assume). Is this tree dying and, if so, is there any intervention that could save it or prolong its life? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Potentially unrelated side note: there are a number of hydrangeas planted under the tree and they all seem to be suffering from some sort of fungal infection (see final picture). IMG_1654.jpegIMG_1655.jpegIMG_1656.jpegIMG_1657.jpegIMG_1658.jpegIMG_1659.jpegIMG_1660.jpeg

The birds are protected. Some use fake owls or snakes in the tree. As an arborist there is certain things I avoid recommending and or doing this is one of them. Best to do your own research.
I usually target improving tree health over dealing with the birds.

Excellent photos. The black sooty appearance on the trunk of the tree is due to the sapsucker feeding and subsequent sap leakage, which makes a food source for various fungi that live on the bark surface, not doing harm to the tree. Light sapsucker damage is not concerning and doesn't call for any intervention. The leaf symptoms are not related and may be a common pathogen, anthracnose. Note the brown staining along the midrib. Get an arborist experienced in plant health care to look at it and make recommendations before you do anything. The oak leaf hydrangea leaf symptoms are unrelated.

Latest posts

Back