Pruning Advice Needed - Mulberry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Vega

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy y'all! I'm looking for advice on where to cut back these two branches on this Mulberry tree. What would you advise? The branches are missing a lot of the bark on the underside and have some cracking on the exposed inner woody portion. A lot of the branches that I've cut so far have either a very spongy almost sawdust like portion of heartwood, or it's completely gone.
IMG_7262.jpg
IMG_7264.jpg
IMG_7266.jpg
IMG_7269.jpg
I've also included a photo of the trunk of the tree. Was a poor prior pruning cut the cause of this rot?
IMG_7267.jpg
IMG_7268.jpg

Yeah, past topping has done that tree in. I'm generally the one saying "keep it", but agree with others, time to replace. Are those seedlings in the background?

IF you wanted to keep it...I'd probably cut those branches about where those arrows are in pic 1. The "right" place to cut them would be all the way back to the trunk since they are dead. But the tree is never gonna recover or thrive again. If the tree is being left, might as well give something for the woodpeckers to work on - but cut it small enough that it's just gonna fall straight down when it does fall so it doesn't hit anything.

Thank you for all the advice. Looking at this tree, compared to the Catalpa next to it, really paints it in a sorry light. The Catalpa has a nice amount of small, medium, and large branches. This Mulberry has a lot of large and then small branches, all the medium ones seem to have disappeared. Is that the result of bad pruning over the years?

I've had two local arborists come out over the last few years. Both have advocated for leaving it, saying it has another 10-15 years left. I was pretty surprised by that, as I thought both would recommend removal. The first arborist removed all the bark from the wounded side of the trunk to help dry the area out and avoid additional rot.

I have started cutting the dead branches out of the canopy in a general effort to clean the tree up. There was a squirrel that really went at chewing the bark off the live branches last spring, I think that may have accelerated some of the limb loss, as they liked to chew the bark off in rings around the branches.

ATH, those fabric pots have pepper plants in them. I usually try and overwinter them, but the Texas winter's are always a gamble as to whether it will be mild enough. These all got hit with a surprise frost a few weeks ago, so that's the end of the road for them.

Here are two photos from the other side of the tree. One is from the middle of a hot Texas summer, the other is from early December.
Summer.jpg
Early December.jpg

Latest posts

Back