Maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger

Reaction score
A maple tree that I replanted about 6 weeks ago appears to be doing well, it has new leaves all over. I am concerned about one section of the trunk where a piece of the bark dried up and fell off shortly after I replanted it. The piece that fell off is about 4 inches by 2 inches. Is this something I should be concerned about and if so what can I do to repair the damage?

No, there isn't anything available to put on it that will help protect the tree any better than the tree's own natural defenses. Years ago, people thought (and some still cling to it) that putting 'pruning sealer' on cuts and wounds would 'protect' the tree. But that has been proven false by several studies including a few by Dr Shigo. Pruning sealers only provide a place to trap moisture and give fungi and bugs a good place to live. The best thing to do is to leave it alone and let the tree's own natural defenses compartmentalize the wound.
Trees cannot 'heal' (replace damaged tissue with new healthy tissue) like people or animals. They can only isolate the damage and grow around it. But most trees do this very well.:angel:

Back