Mark my words......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066Bigbear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think that next winter will be the season for all of us. Us being the people that sell wood that is. I have been seeing a lot I mean A LOT of firewood equipment being sold. I just seen on CL a tw-6 with a four way for 4000. And a lot of other splitters too. And dump trailers and small dump trucks (f-450's). Maybe I am just hopefully thinking but I know that when I get these feelings It more than likely happens. But we will see come September of this year (2011). I just need to get ready now for it and start bringing in lots of wood. Tell me what yall think maybe its to early to tell yet but it is coming from my gut. What do you see happening in your area?

i have been seeing a few more loggers selling out or just down sizeing... wood sales have jumped for me by about 15% from the past 5 years! as a few firewood dealers are sold out and not going to replentish their supply of wood! all this being done dont look good for the future for some ?... but, if you are in the same lucky boat that i paddle then your going to be ok! im all paid for lock stock and barrel... keeping new purchase,s down to a bare minimum by paying cash for what ever i need to further my ambition for business!! i was uneased for awhile with all the out of work people that were selling wood as a side job to keep the wolf from the door. this seemed to fizzle out rather quick as most only had small amounts of wood for sale and sold cheap an fast . haveing been in the wood business for 30 years and a good steady clientele has its perks. word of mouth is the best sales for a business! good quantities,quality and fair prices for your product will see a person through most problem times.... good luck to all !!!!!

2011 Firewood season

Just thinking out about this thread.. IMHO I believe that IF and AS the economy gets better a lot of the people that got into firewood production will realize that it's a whole lot of work and none of us are getting rich! Those that are in this biz are suffering from CAD and just love the smell of 2-stroke exhaust fumes and wood chips on the floor boards of our trucks. The die-hards will stay in biz and maybe we learned how to be a little better in our business practices so we can be more efficient in our operations.. Those of us that chose our line of work will stay in the game. Those that chose it just to make a buck will wither away.. Just my thoughts.

don't forget the ever rising costs of all other means to heat.... living in FL, I don't have to use the fireplace as much but have noticed a lot more places selling wood this past season, yes, most are like described, just looking for extra $$. This is our second year in our house here and the first winter snuck up on me and ended up buying wood all year, still cheaper than turning that switch to heat here. But I have collected and split wood since last winter and haven't paid a dime to heat the house on our few colds nights here... wishing you guys the best to survive!!

Got any stock market tips?

The only "stock market" that I know is with cattle lmao. But I would have to say that I know that I dont keep it in the bank I have a vault here that holds my money just fine. But if I to put my money in the stock market it would have to be bottled water. That stuff costs a lot and people buy the truck loads of it. I wish I could refill them with my well water and put them back for sale and I would make millions (evil laugh):msp_sneaky:. But you can take that for what its worth. But I do know that haven cows in the field is like having money in savings, as they grow so does the income.

Just my two cents

I agree with original OP. Around here, firewood demand is way up. I attribute it to the popularity of OWB's. However, a lot of tree and landscaping businesses not able to make it without the residential market, so supply is down and will down even further next year.

Also, the price for chips was up this year given the lack of supply, and I know a few tree guys that were grinding up wood they may have used for firewood.

Talked to the manager at Tractor Supply a while back. He said 2010 sold more log splitters than he has in the previous 5 years. But as he said, look for a lot of used splitters for sale when people realize how much work firewood is.

I'll be the doubting Thomas of the group. We saw more people in the firewood business than ever before, mostly out of work guys looking to make a buck or some were just trying to augment income. A few seemed to want to sell enough to justify them buying a splitter for their own use. As oil goes up this fall more will be burning wood, but their will also be more in the business. People in my area are selling it at rock bottom prices as it is. The job market is not likely to get better and you'll see a lot of part timers and hacks in the business again. Some home owners will seize the chance to buy their own splitter. This will be the situation in my area as wood is plentiful and it's not hard to find somewhere to cut.

firewood and beyond

I'll be the doubting Thomas of the group. We saw more people in the firewood business than ever before, mostly out of work guys looking to make a buck or some were just trying to augment income. A few seemed to want to sell enough to justify them buying a splitter for their own use. As oil goes up this fall more will be burning wood, but their will also be more in the business. People in my area are selling it at rock bottom prices as it is. The job market is not likely to get better and you'll see a lot of part timers and hacks in the business again. Some home owners will seize the chance to buy their own splitter. This will be the situation in my area as wood is plentiful and it's not hard to find somewhere to cut.

--that is exactly what I am seeing. as the economy gets worse, a lot of part timers or trying to be full timers are showing up, selling firewood, running full time yardsales or hitting flea markets, scrapping, both legit and by theft, assorted other crime, etc..

I even started seeing joe homeowners in my area who don't burn wood start to cut up and split and stack what wood they have outside in their front yard with "for sale" signs. Years past it would be dragged out there with a "free" sign. Those are clues, along with watching how the pawnshop stuff changes, how many rides "for sale" sitting in peoples yards, stuff like that. It's been getting steadily worse around where I am the past three years now. There's still a lot of wealth and people making money and riding around in fancy rides, but the opposite end of that spectrum is increasing fast. I mean you just don't see that many legitimate jobs in the classifieds either compared to some years ago, it's like "sell avon" "join the gun toters and go overseas and dodge IEDs", "sell tannning beds make huge dollars".

Areas with a lot of government workers per capita look like the economy is "good", they get their money regardless and are in the leaast threat of getting fired or having their jobs offshored, etc, whereas other areas are much different.

I've been on a lot of forums the past few years and reading between the lines that is the impression I get when people comment on the economy, they tend to think their area is representative of everywhere, and it just ain't like that.

This economy is in bad shape, real bad shape, very generally speaking, across the whole. Them black suited fatcats are running scared now because they have about exhausted all their little tricks to keep their economic scams running. You can just shift money from one pocket to another so much before you got to admit you ain't making any new MONEY worth a flip. You can only get foreigners to swap you real stuff, durable goods or energy, for various brands of what are really just IOUs for so long. they just ain't gonna do that forever, they ain't that dumb.

Major headlines all over showing that the dollar as sole world's reserve currency is about to end. THAT will be the major economic and social tipping point.

I sincerely *doubt* most people have any inkling what this will really mean when it comes to life inside the USA.

We have very few people still kicking who were full working adults during the great depression. So we have no..hmm...generational/tribal knowledge that is being imparted, it is mostly theoretical to most folks alive today. They haven't lived in a *real* bad economy yet and because their particular personal economy is still good, well "it'll never happen" "it won't get bad" etc.

All I got to say is good luck with that! History just don't lie, we have dozens of previous empires to look at for clues. An empire in decline is easy to see. How fast and hard is a variable, but not the outcome.

What has happened to the USA is an example of "corporate raiding", just done on a hugemongous and unprecedented scale.

Just read a story in the NYT this morning that retail prices are expected to rise this fall...

Companies Warn That Higher Prices Are Looming...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/business/15prices.html

...and I assume people's wages will remain the same. So I would guess tighter personal budgets would mean more people turning to wood heating.

As to "stock tips"... Stock prices now rise and fall for no reason whatsoever to do with how a company is doing or what it is expected to do. The only way I would buy stock these days would be if there was a good return on the dividends based on the price of the stock.

Similar to my area. Lots of unemployed small timers cutting their own trees for cash. I'm not big-time by any means ( 20 cords so far this year ) but I usually sell a better quality product than the guys sitting their trucks by the side of the road. Time and labor isn't a big factor for me, so I can offer extras others can't ( like special stacking, stove advice, etc. ). Customer service helps my pricing more than supply and demand and also leads to secondary work.

One thing I'm seeing on the supply side here that helps is that most loggers are not cutting quality hardwoods due to the low prices. They are mostly cutting poplar and the like for pulpwood or cheap furniture. This helps somewhat because some guys get their wood cutting behind the loggers, and the chances for getting oak this way are slim at the moment.

With the amount of guys selling just a few loads, one needs to stick to your price early in the season. Others run out of wood or deliver junk and then customers start coming back to the legit sellers. I've sold more this past month than the whole rest of the season and can almost name my price on new buyers. I'm in an economically depressed area however, so I don't get too aggressive on price, but it does let me thin my customer base and reduce my delivery area.

Latest posts

Back