Mass production , log splitter VS Firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback_Patrol

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to introduce myself. New to the site but have enjoyed the discussion i have been reading. I own and operate a full time firewood business as my sole income. It has been very sucessfull over the years and i enjoy what I do. We mass process firewood. Production can surpass 100 cubic meters daily. I can remember swinging an axe as a kid and what a blessing the old strait shaft splitter was. I might be opening a can of worms here by saying it but strait shaft splitters are out of date and labor intensive. I know not everyone can sink substantial amounts of money into a Firewood processor but there is a huge diffrence between log splitter and Firewood processor. My own personal opinion from guys that I know in the industry who run log splitters (old strait shaft), are only in the game to make beer money. Most of my competition now works for me in one way or another and the markets only growing for firewood. We've found that people are moving away from the smaller suppliers as they run out year after year and people just don't like picking up the phone and hunting down a new supplier year after year. I really can't imagine trying to run a business with an old strait shaft splitter or not running a firewood business full time. Our sales side is mainly 7 months out of the year but production never stops. If your not running it as a sole source of income i don't know how you can stay in opperation. I'd love to hear how some of you are going in the industry and have a chat about what machines you are using to process you timbers. once again glad to have found a site with those who share our passion. For any interested i've got some pics of the Firewood processor and happy to answer any question.

howdy, and welcome.

I am a landscaping compnay in the summer in a mountainous resort town. we have 6 months a year with too much snow to do anything useful.
My dream is to process firewood all winter, then sell/deliver in the fall, while making good money in the summer landscaping.

I'm building my own processor mostly for hte fun of it.

So a question. My splitter seems to cycle at 7 seconds. It will make 6 inch diameter pieces maximum. Is this typical, or do I need to redesign the pump/ram?

this week we will be getting serious about running some wood through it. If the splitter part works as hoped, I have the table and conveyor built. Need to design a cutting system for bucking ot length.

What do you use in australia???

thanks

Latest posts

Back