Mast year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oaks started dropping a month ago here, and heavy. Interestingly NOAA is predicting a strong el Nino which generally translates to a milder winter for this area.

My Shagbark Hickories (most of them) are just full of nuts this year,best year since 2013.I've picked up 6-7 pounds a few days ago,hope to get another 5-6 pounds in week or so.If my back would cooperate I could get 15 pounds per acre if I really wanted..Leaving the majority of them for squirrels,chipmunks,other wildlife.Havent checked the various Red,Black,White,Bur Oaks yet,the DNR & others says its a good year for them too.A decent amount off the 2 big Black Walnuts in backyard so far,just what's dropped early in past couple weeks,last year I ended up with between 8 & 9 bushels before they were husked/run through the old corn sheller.Almost 4 bushels once husked & cleaned up.

Beginning 3rd year of a drought,9 months in a row with below normal precip,so that's probably part of the reason for the big nut crop.Trees ''think'' a prolonged dry period means its the end for them,so they normally produce a bigger amount of seeds.DSC02731.JPG

Hmmm. I think good or bad for any winter mostly involves two considerations: snow or ice accumulations, and temperature. Apart from snow removal contractors and ski resorts, most folks think of more frozen precipitation than average as "bad". Colder weather than average, is also considered bad.

Not to derail but whats defined as a "good winter"? Lots of snow or minimal snow?
I believe that depends on a man's perspective. For me I want it warm and no snow. The sky resort wants it 20F and lots of snow.

Latest posts

Back