Master Poison Ivy/Poison Oak Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, you guys take this #### way to serious....LOL

Oh wait, so do I...

Jewelweed soap, buy some...Better than Zanfel or any ivy cream you can buy...

Oderless mineral spirits, buy some...The same as Tecnu and cheaper...

Compound pharmacy, for the guys that want to eat it...Atleast they have tested it on animals...

Identification...That is the most important thing you can do...Stay away or remove it before you get exposed...

:cheers: and :givebeer:

some of those leaves i wouldnt even think to be poison ivy, i hate this stuff...

.. whos gona be the test rat and eat some to see if they become immune?
:dizzy:

I'm finding that Benadryl Gel is better than Ivy Dry and 1% Cortizone for itch control.

I sure wish I would have known to wash the oil off right away with something good. This is nasty!!

Right away is best, but it is never to late...Someone down in your area sells jewelweed soap, buy some and wash with it a couple of time a day...It will relieve most of the itching and wash the remaining urushiol away...

I use to get Poison ivy bad enough to see a doctor every year.

Now after cutting I wipe down with Technu...now from the directions you're actually supposed to wash it off. Anyways like aftershave I just cover any exposed skin with it and leave it.

tecnu_fmly_web5.jpg

Since using technu I either don't get PI or it's just a small spot I can lock down with calamine-like ivarest lotion.
ivarest-cream.jpg

That technu has been so good for me that I have 4 bottles spread around the place for convenience.

Eating poison ivy is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. As an emt I can tell you that no one is born allergic to something. First you have to be exposed to said allergen and only after an initial exposure do you become "alergic" which is actually a severe overreaction of the bodies immune system. Eating it does not make you immune, it simply exposes you one more time and that time may be the time the over reaction of your bodies immune system occurs. Now do you really want this in your airway when your body overreacts and you go into anyphylactic shock. Anyphylactic shock itself has enough problems of swelling airway and complications without point of introduction of allergen being the airway itself. I hope you have several epi pens handy!

All of the above summed up in laymans terms eating poison ivy can kill you!

For those who say they are not allergic! As stated above every time your body is subjected to a allergen there is the chance that it will overreact even if it has never done so in the past. My father in law after eating fish his whole life suddenly became allergic to fish at age 50. 50 years of eating fish before his body overreacted. My EMT instructor who is a paramedic witnessed his wife go into anyphylactic shock while they were eating at olive garden. 911 was called and by the time the ambulance arrived he was sterilizing his pocket knife with wine to do a tracheotomy after her airway had swelled completely shut. The allergen for her was olive oil and she was 30 some years old and had it numerous times before.

Eating poison ivy is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. As an emt I can tell you that no one is born allergic to something. First you have to be exposed to said allergen and only after an initial exposure do you become "alergic" which is actually a severe overreaction of the bodies immune system. Eating it does not make you immune, it simply exposes you one more time and that time may be the time the over reaction of your bodies immune system occurs. Now do you really want this in your airway when your body overreacts and you go into anyphylactic shock. Anyphylactic shock itself has enough problems of swelling airway and complications without point of introduction of allergen being the airway itself. I hope you have several epi pens handy!

For those who say they are not allergic! As stated above every time your body is subjected to a allergen there is the chance that it will overreact even if it has never done so in the past. My father in law after eating fish his whole life suddenly became allergic to fish at age 50. 50 years of eating fish before his body overreacted. My EMT instructor who is a paramedic witnessed his wife go into anyphylactic shock while they were eating at olive garden. 911 was called and by the time the ambulance arrived he was sterilizing his pocket knife with wine to do a tracheotomy after her airway had swelled completely shut. The allergen for her was olive oil and she was 30 some years old and had it numerous times before.

that is some scary stuff right there!

Having done the funky chicken, and been 0 over palp and thumped with the paddles during anaphalaxis from allergic reaction, I gotta agree.
Not Schmart. Getting dead is not fun.

Back in the mid 90's, my doc had me signed up for an experimental course of Urishol protien desensitizing treatments. Apparently a drug company thought they had a viable course worked out involving subtissue injections and minute doses ingested in progressive amounts.

The release for trials were scrapped, because of even minute amounts of the active protien interacting with ANY exposed(ulcer, acid reflux etc) digestive tissues resulted in dire consequences.

If anybody goes to eating the stuff, all I gotta say is.

"Dibs on thier saws!!!"

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Having done the funky chicken, and been 0 over palp and thumped with the paddles during anaphalaxis from allergic reaction, I gotta agree.
Not Schmart. Getting dead is not fun.

Back in the mid 90's, my doc had me signed up for an experimental course of Urishol protien desensitizing treatments. Apparently a drug company thought they had a viable course worked out involving subtissue injections and minute doses ingested in progressive amounts.

The release for trials were scrapped, because of even minute amounts of the active protien interacting with ANY exposed(ulcer, acid reflux etc) digestive tissues resulted in dire consequences.

If anybody goes to eating the stuff, all I gotta say is.

"Dibs on thier saws!!!"

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Glad to see that you made the good side of that statistic! Love reading your posts rep sent!

If anybody goes to eating the stuff, all I gotta say is. "Dibs on thier saws!!!"

I know a few people personally who (in their younger years) ate it to protect themselves. I don't think I'll ever go that route, since there are other ways of doing the same thing. Still, from my research, a lot of "professionals" like Sawkiller give the same kind of advice, and yet many people still eat it and benefit from it.
Oh, and another thing - those who do this strongly recommend eating very young and small leaves early in the spring, one every day or two and increasing the size for a couple weeks.

On a side note, here's a new one I heard today - cashews have the same oil in them, and eating about 4 oz. a day will provide the same benefit at eating young PI leaves. Again, suggested dosage should be done at least a week before entering PI areas.

Not sure about that one, but I'm going to do a bit of internet research and see what I come up with. Sounds like a pleasant preventative to me!

The thing is you can't develop an immunity to an allergen by exposing yourself to it more frequently. It is not bacteria where your body builds a defense. Your bodies defense to an allergen is histamine and various other chemicals every time you are exposed so you are not developing an immunity.

Is there a doc in the house maybe he can confirm and expand on what I am trying to say.

The thing is you can't develop an immunity to an allergen by exposing yourself to it more frequently. It is not bacteria where your body builds a defense. Your bodies defense to an allergen is histamine and various other chemicals every time you are exposed so you are not developing an immunity.

Is there a doc in the house maybe he can confirm and expand on what I am trying to say.

Not questioning you, but why do Doctors administer allergy shots...

It called allergen immunotherapy...It is the process of introducing the body to smaller less vital doses...

Compound pharmacy have been doing it w/ urushiol for ever and I know people that swear by it...Yes there are risk, but aren't there in all medicines..

Immunotherapy involves the use of the specific protiens the patient is allergic to in gradualy increasing increments. Amounts are so small it's amazing, and the time frame is a year or more.

The trigger mechanism for excessive histamine production is not completely understood, and quite often patients get to a certain level and regress suddenly with potentially fatal reactions. Some patients simply do not respond to immuntherapy at all, other than having a constant level of increased histamines in thier system and going into anaphalaxis when exposed to an environmental trigger.
That is why incremental increases are specificly measured and recorded before bieng administered, and the matter is tightly controlled.

The odd "young leaf" is a very loose and willy nilly measurement, that in no way is repeatable, nor can it be used as an amount to base the next increased dose upon.

If folks are eating the stuff, they are playing a dangerous game, but it's thier right to play.

Do any of those folks that claim to be eating the plant leaves own any old classic Huskys?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Immunotherapy involves the use of the specific protiens the patient is allergic to in gradualy increasing increments. Amounts are so small it's amazing, and the time frame is a year or more.

The trigger mechanism for excessive histamine production is not completely understood, and quite often patients get to a certain level and regress suddenly with potentially fatal reactions. Some patients simply do not respond to immuntherapy at all, other than having a constant level of increased histamines in thier system and going into anaphalaxis when exposed to an environmental trigger.
That is why incremental increases are specificly measured and recorded before bieng administered, and the matter is tightly controlled.

The odd "young leaf" is a very loose and willy nilly measurement, that in no way is repeatable, nor can it be used as an amount to base the next increased dose upon.

If folks are eating the stuff, they are playing a dangerous game, but it's thier right to play.

Do any of those folks that claim to be eating the plant leaves own any old classic Huskys?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not arguing b/c I understand...I have had systematic reactions from poison ivy and it is not good...Also being asthmatic and living a life w/ multiple allergies I don't risk...

The part that pisses me off is both my parents can pull the #### out of the ground w/ their bare hands an not have a reaction...I have a close friend that I have seen eat it, weed eat it, roll in it, smoke it, and even wipe his ass w/ it and never get a single spot...

Not arguing b/c I understand...I have had systematic reactions from poison ivy and it is not good...Also being asthmatic and living a life w/ multiple allergies I don't risk...

The part that pisses me off is both my parents can pull the #### out of the ground w/ their bare hands an not have a reaction...I have a close friend that I have seen eat it, weed eat it, roll in it, smoke it, and even wipe his ass w/ it and never get a single spot...

Same here.
Allergys/athsma developed late and systemic reaction to PI.
Had to stop Immunotherapy period.

I HATE people that can roll in the stuff.
But then I used to be able to myself LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not questioning you, but why do Doctors administer allergy shots...

It called allergen immunotherapy...It is the process of introducing the body to smaller less vital doses...

Compound pharmacy have been doing it w/ urushiol for ever and I know people that swear by it...Yes there are risk, but aren't there in all medicines..

Doctors, play this game in a controlled clinical enviroment. If hes any good at his job he will probably realize you are showing signs of anaphylaxis before you do and already have you treated before any alarms are raised.

Urushoil is actually a form of alcohol and that is why removing it from your skin is best done with another ketone such as rubbing alcohol. My best guess would be that when you eat the plant followed by large doses of water which typically binds with most alcohols you have diluted the poison enough that your stomach acid can take care of the rest. But that is only a guess.

I still would not recomend eating anything with poison in the name of it, even if your neighbor's sister's boyfriend's brother got away with it!

imight give it a shot if you guys get the funds together to buy me a brand new in box 372 or 440
your choice, surprise me :pumpkin2:

Latest posts

Back