McCollough Pro Mac 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
Neighbor just gave me a Pro Mac 610. Its missing the air filter and cover, and the starter handle and rope. Dont know what shape the P/C is in yet, I just got it. Anyone know much about these saws? I will post some pics after I clean it up.

I used to run one against a 038 Stihl, it was just a little slower, good grunt and heavy. It was a good saw for the 15 years I had it, just take the carb apart and clean once in a while. I have a box of parts if your interested. Steve

I used to run one against a 038 Stihl, it was just a little slower, good grunt and heavy. It was a good saw for the 15 years I had it, just take the carb apart and clean once in a while. I have a box of parts if your interested. Steve

What all ya have? I might be interested. The damn thing wont start, but its in good enough shape I want to fix it if I dont get mad and take a sledgehammer to it.

Neighbor just gave me a Pro Mac 610. Its missing the air filter and cover, and the starter handle and rope. Dont know what shape the P/C is in yet, I just got it. Anyone know much about these saws? I will post some pics after I clean it up.

My first chainsaw was a PM610. I bought it 20 years ago, still have it, and still use it. McCulloch produced that saw or variations like Timberbear or Eager Beaver 3.7 until 1998 or so. Parts are where you find'em, and there are lots of the saws and parts on Ebay. Need a new carb, oiler, ignition, or shortblock? They're out there, and inexpensive.

The PM610 and variants are heavy for their power output. IMO, they are at their best cutting logs into firewood.

They are boat anchors I bought one years ago to have as a backup saw it is still sitting here ready for action... It was probably one of the most dependable saws I ever owned... Starts everytime :cheers:

I think Im going to fix this thing just because it is nearly complete. It has spark, the cylinder looks ok as does the piston. I got it to pop once but it floods bad. Im going to replace the fuel line and I already cleaned the carb up to no avail. This saw has the Tillotson carb with the stupid plastic needle and float housing. The saw is still filthy but I dont think it has seen a hell of a lot of use. The paint is in good shape and the spur sprocket isnt worn very bad at all. Pics coming as soon as I get the camera charged.

I think Im going to fix this thing just because it is nearly complete. It has spark, the cylinder looks ok as does the piston. I got it to pop once but it floods bad. Im going to replace the fuel line and I already cleaned the carb up to no avail. This saw has the Tillotson carb with the stupid plastic needle and float housing. The saw is still filthy but I dont think it has seen a hell of a lot of use. The paint is in good shape and the spur sprocket isnt worn very bad at all. Pics coming as soon as I get the camera charged.

I'm still running the PM650 i bought 28 years ago ..

one set of rings, is the total of repairs

I have a new carb if necessary, and airfilter.

I had two of them and just gave one to my little brother. It was my first saw ever. IT runs great and all I ever replaced was the rim on the sprocket. They are not speed demons but do have torque and pulls a 24" bar about the same as a 20". Also even though it is amiddle weight saw it does have a manual backup oiler wich I always think is a good feature.

I think if I get it running it will be a good backup or loaner saw. Then the Poulan 3000 will graduate up and be a non-loaner saw, LOL. I know that the 026 Pro, the 361, the 7900, and the 064 will never be loaned. Plus I just want to hear this old beast run. I have a line on parts, but Im always looking. I have also been looking on Ebay. I helped my neighbor clean up limbs after the ice storm to be a good neighbor...(and to play with my saws). Today I was trimming my apricot tree and he comes walking around the bushes and asks if I want this old saw, or he was going to toss it. He said it was in the garage when he bought the house.

Change that old HK out for a Walbro or the Zama and the saw will be a good runner.Those plastic metering block Tilly`s are a pain. Pioneerguy600

Back