McCulloch 1-42

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
Anybody have info on this saw? Mikes site is down. I just got this saw for free. I want to know vintage, displacement etc. Still has original bar on it in decent shape.

I believe they are from the early 60's. They are 80cc saws and usually run .404 chains. I think they came with a Tillotson HL series carb. I have a 1-45 and the motor specs are the same according to the Chain Saw Collectors Corner (CSCC). The following data is what CSCC has listed for my 1-45:

2 1/8 inch bore
1 3/8 stroke
cast iron sleeve and Reed valves with third port induction.

Thats what I found...hope the Chain Saw Collectors Corner is up soon. What an awesome website for old saw collector.

I got my 1-45 running pretty easily. My bet is the 1-42 is similar but has the Tillotson instead of the McCulloch carb I have.

It cut really well. Lots of power in the midrange, but doesn't have the RPM's a newer saw has. Suprising powerful for its age. Fun saw.

I have found I need to shoot a little gas straight into the carb to get it going. And once or twice after to keep it running until it picks up fuel on its own. I have a little oil can I use to getting things going.

Rollin, Ha, Ha , Ha. A very small percentage of the arboristsite members are full fledged hotsaw racers or loggers. There are a TON of chainsaw enthusiasts though. I have a diverse collection of saws, some I would put to work along side any loggers saw, some for firewood, none for all out competition, and some I have just to preserve a little history. I KNOW I can get this 1-42 to run again for almost no money, what's the harm in that? I'll bet there were quite a few people who were proud to bring their new McCullochs to work back in the day. I can't afford to have a bike motored saw built and frankly, don't want one. I thouroghly enjoy watching the pro level competition and have no desire to rain on your parade, please extend the same courtesy to me. Just because a new Ford Mustang is such a hot performer does this mean we should drown all the Model A's?

Weimedog, Thanks for a straight answer, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I-42 specs

As per my McCulloch micro films,here are the specs on the I-42. Powerhead wt. 18 lbs. ,made 1961-1962,bore 2.125.stroke 1.375,4.9 cu.in.,6.3 to 1 comp.ratio.Could have a Tillotson HL,or McCulloch primer type carb.[ this type gives me fits ] It appears that it is very similar to a 250,perhaps,the 250 was a take off of this model. Good luck. Al

Originally posted by ROLLIN
Sounds like you made a big score. Now tie a rope on it and throw it over board. Rollie

Rollin,

Can you tell me a company that never made a boat anchor ?

Sedan,

Your comments are well said. I would bet very few would knock the 125 as well as many other Mac models. I have a 1-40 as well as several other older Macs.

Bill

Sedanman, One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

Bill G, so are you agreeing with me, that it’s a boat anchor? Rollie

Originally posted by ROLLIN
Sedanman, One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

Bill G, so are you agreeing with me, that it’s a boat anchor? Rollie

Rollin,

I cannot agree or disagree as I have never owned that model. My point is that many people label a company by the junkers they produce because they have never ran the company's good products. I cannot think of any company that has not produced junk.

Bill

This vintage thing has to do with maturity & security with past accomplishments. Same thing with Motorcycles. Those who have been there and enjoyed the sport can look back and enjoy some of the steps of the evolution of the sport. Many in the heat of battle right now look at my 1979 KTM's and 1982 Husqvarna's as boat anchors.....funny thing I discovered over 25 years in the sport and most of those 25 years racing one thing or another is riding the latest and greatest fad isn't always the most fun...or even the FASTEST for a given rider. I get more pleasure from my 1982 Husqvarna XC430 than anything I have or could buy..and I can buy any motorcycle I please at this point in my life. Number 2 on that list is my 2001 (NOT 2002) VOR 503 which was built for me by the factory.

Saw's? I love my Husqvarna. Its mellow and does the job without wearing me out. Its about as much power and vibration as I want to deal with for 6-8 hours at a time. I could have a 372--394..or anything I want. It was my choise as I'm not trying to beat anything or anybody especially myself.

When I go out for fun I run my McCulloch 1-45 and my Homelite Super XL. Boat anchors. But feed my soul. I keep the Husky in the truck when real work needs to be done or the McCulloch doesn't want to co-operate. (797..almost ready to replace the Homelite as no 1 hobbie saw)

Bottom line? This is a hobbie.

I 42 and other oldies

Just a little comment,no malice intended.Anyone,that can afford it,including myself at this age in life,can spend a given amount of money,and purchase as hot a saw as they like.Not as many have the desire,or the ability to refurbish a 40 yr old saw,and make it operational.This group of people are called collectors and restorers . Saws,as with other collectables,have factor of owners with different ideas with regard to whats good or what is bad.I have watched this forum for several years and have seen both praise and chastisment of about every saw ever made.I guess it all boils down to a matter of personal likes or dislikes.For my own satisfaction,I really get amussed by using some of my larger saws,and out cutting,in many cases,some of the modern saws.I will admit,however,that being on the buisiness end of a 30 some pound Super Pro 125 for 5 or 6 hrs., is a very tireing experiance,no matter if you are 25 or 55. Al

carb kit

I just picked up another old saw - a mac 1-45. runs pretty good, but diaphram in carb is shot. Number inside carb is 5727A. No name on outside of carb, so am guessing it is a mac. Anybody know where to get either a carb kit, or diaphram material so I can make one? Thanks. :)

Back