McCulloch carb. problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a McCulloch 850 pro that I am trying to resurrect and It has carb. problems. I have put new fuel lines and filter, new carb. kit and it will start and run fine full throttle but it want idle below half throttle. The saw had been setting a long time with fuel in it and it had turned to sludge. I cleaned the tank. When I rebuilt the carb. I let it soak in a cleaner for about forty five minutes then used a ultrasonic cleaner for 3 minutes. The kit I got only had the diaphragms and gaskets no metering needle, no welch plug. I had a metering needle, but I could not remove the welch plug and clean under it. I sprayed carb. cleaner in ever orfice and followed up with air. I need some leads as where to go next. Thanks Tom

Good possibility that it is not a carb problem. May have and air leak in the crankcase. Symptoms are runs good at high speed but wont idle. Check the crankshaft seals, cylinder gasket and all the carb mounting gaskets.

Gordy

On a side note, when you dont get a new welch plug in a kit, steel some of your wife or girlfriends nail polish and use it to seal around the plug. If you steel it from your girlfriend dont let your wife see it though.

Latest posts

Back