McCulloch Clutch/Drum/Sprocket Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritalinpb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I finally got the new pull cord spring and fuel line/gasket installed and the saw runs good. I went to cut some wood over the weekend and when the chain goes into the wood under load it will not spin the chain. The saw revs and the chain doesnt move. It does at first then wont. So I took it all apart and looked at it. I have never replaced or messed with a chainsaw clutch. I understand the idea of the centrifugal clutch.
I ran the saw without the bar chain and cover to see the clutch. When I give it gas the clutch spins so does the drum and sprocket. After i let go of the gas and the clutch "goes back in" away from the drum the drum continues to spin.
My question is this can the inside of the drum get worn to where it needs to be replaced? Im gonna replace the sprocket while its apart (the drum and sprocket are sperate pieces) and can the weighted pieces of the clutch wear to where I need a new clutch or should it just be that the sprocket is worn. The saw is a MacPro 10-10 from the 70-80s so its old and im sure the sprocket never changed.
I already have $70 into the saw (i got it for free from my uncle not running) and would rather spend $5 on a sprocket than $20+ on a clutch and/or $20+ on a drum when all it is a sprocket.
Thanks for all the help
Matt

So I finally got the new pull cord spring and fuel line/gasket installed and the saw runs good. I went to cut some wood over the weekend and when the chain goes into the wood under load it will not spin the chain. The saw revs and the chain doesnt move. It does at first then wont. So I took it all apart and looked at it. I have never replaced or messed with a chainsaw clutch. I understand the idea of the centrifugal clutch.
I ran the saw without the bar chain and cover to see the clutch. When I give it gas the clutch spins so does the drum and sprocket. After i let go of the gas and the clutch "goes back in" away from the drum the drum continues to spin.
My question is this can the inside of the drum get worn to where it needs to be replaced? Im gonna replace the sprocket while its apart (the drum and sprocket are sperate pieces) and can the weighted pieces of the clutch wear to where I need a new clutch or should it just be that the sprocket is worn. The saw is a MacPro 10-10 from the 70-80s so its old and im sure the sprocket never changed.
I already have $70 into the saw (i got it for free from my uncle not running) and would rather spend $5 on a sprocket than $20+ on a clutch and/or $20+ on a drum when all it is a sprocket.
Thanks for all the help
Matt
matt is this what you need ?

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/replacement-spur-sprocket-for-mcculloch-3-8-7-tooth.html

I've seen sprockets or spurs completely worn out, where they have a groove cut through the tooth. Thats the only thing that comes to mind. Calvin should have everything you need, spur drum or put the rim drive on, which is better anyways. Replace the bearing if it needs it, and it might.;)

Latest posts

Back