McCulloch PM6 Cleaning and Recoil Repair, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all. The recoil of my McCulloch Power Mac 6 sounds like a dying pig to say the least. It does function, but is squeaky. How should I go about fixing that? Will the usual WD-40 treatment fix that? Also, I’m wondering what the best method is to clean the brown stains off of it?

Attachments

• IMG_5680.jpeg
    IMG_5680.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Remove the starter pulley for proper cleaning of the pulley, starter post, and the spring. One screw hold the pulley in place. While it's apart replace the starter rope, 36" inches of 3 mm cord. If your saw still has the old plastic pulley with metal cup, examine the joint very carefully for signs of cracking. If it is cracked (probably) you should reinforce it now before it separates. I like to use some white lithium grease on the post and pulley, WD40 just evaporates and doesn't leave much lubrication behind.

IMG_1188 (640x480).jpg

20230419_161012.jpg

There are updated starter pulleys available but you will need to replace the metal starter pawls to take full advantage of the all plastic pulley.

Try something like Super Clean or Greased Lightening on the stains while the starter is apart.

Mark

My spring turned to spaghetti. Haven’t been able to get it back in yet. I could order a new spring that’s all ready wound up... Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_5703.jpeg
    IMG_5703.jpeg
    953.4 KB · Views: 0
Just pull one revolution at a time until it is wound tight enough to fit in the space in the starter housing, and use a pair of needle nose pliers to lower it into position.

Even if you bought a new spring that was in a retainer, there is little guarantee it won't get away from you before you can get in it position.

Mark

Thanks for the help thus far Mark, but I still haven’t been able to accomplish this. Whenever I try using a needle nose like you said the spring expands outwards getting unwound. I’ve also attempted it 6 times this morning and 5 times throughout the past week with no luck. I’ve gotten close…

We finally got it in! It was extremely hard and I needed help. Unfortunately, I lost one of the screws so I’ll have to buy a new one. At least I have the spring in. Thanks guys.

Back