McCulloch Power Mac 320 dies when tipped bar-side down and erratic running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspowered

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought a McCulloch PM320 off of eBay about a month ago, 80 bucks with the case, couldn't refuse. Anyway, it needed the basics, new fuel line/filter, new impulse line, rebuilt carb, degreasing, new spark plug, bar & chain, all that good stuff. It fired up after 4-5 pulls, and seemed to run fine with a minor carb adjustment. It kept acting like it wanted to lean out after letting off the throttle, so I richened the low speed about 1/8th of a turn. Started to run a little bit better but it ended up being too rich on the low end so it just quit. Full throttle and 1-2 pulls it fired right up again. Leaned it out a bit and the RPM's are too high and the idle speed is cranked out far enough that it's not touching the throttle linkage. I initially thought it had a intake leak, so I took it all apart again and inspected the rubber intake boot on the carb. It looked okay but it was a little stiff. I went ahead and got a good one off of eBay, put it on the saw last night, and it fired right up again, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. This time, when you tip the saw bar-side down, it quits instantly, but not when you're giving it throttle. It didn't do this all the time, I'd say it did it about half of the time. Only other place I can look is the insulator block, but I'm also thinking it has bad crank seals. This saw is pretty worn out and low-hour but it has good compression still. If anyone can help me out, give me your input. Thanks.

If you run it without the airfilter will it stll conk out when dipped to the ground.
Did you put a new diaphram in the carb.

Back