McCulloch Power Mac 6 Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coveredinsap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked this up at a garage sale today. It looks to have spent the last 30 years on a shelf, brought down only to cut the occassional branch or two. The owner said it didn't run and it probably just needed a "carburetor cleaning". I didn't even try starting it until I had gotten it home and gave it a good going over. Everything looks to be original and in excellent shape....very tight compression and a piston that looks brand new. 14" bar.

After draining the gas and putting in some fresh, (28:1) the thing fired right up. Cuts like a champ too (for a 32cc saw that is). Automatic oiler with manual override. Sweet.
Judging by the serial number it looks to be a late production saw, probably circa 1973/74 or so judging by the '13-' prefix. Check out the original bar cover :)

Here's the specs:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...cb273d023ef1371488256b620015d2da?OpenDocument

powermac1.JPG

powermac2.JPG

powermac3.JPG

powermac4.JPG

Last edited:
I knew these saws but worked with the heavier Poulan 25s at that time. What ruined them, and you be careful- Is the first time you jerked out the starter rope and disassembled it it was easy to not get the screws inthe right holes. The v-clips the screws go into come loose if the screws holding the halves together slacken. Then the v- clips bounces around inside while running, sticks to the flywheel magnets, rides around and cleaves the coil pack from the cylinder! I have two of them sitting on shelves, now. and parts may be very hard to come by. If you kill the cylinder...

I like these powermacs. Very nice, I used to keep one in the back of my truck to cut up road obstructions.

I remeber reading on a powermac, and in a mac advertisement that at the time they were produced they were the worlds lightest chainsaw.

mac

they were an ok saw, still a lot of saws sitting around with little use on them, some of the smaller macs were a pain to work on. :yoyo:

deercatcher said:
I knew these saws but worked with the heavier Poulan 25s at that time. What ruined them, and you be careful- Is the first time you jerked out the starter rope and disassembled it it was easy to not get the screws inthe right holes. The v-clips the screws go into come loose if the screws holding the halves together slacken. Then the v- clips bounces around inside while running, sticks to the flywheel magnets, rides around and cleaves the coil pack from the cylinder! I have two of them sitting on shelves, now. and parts may be very hard to come by. If you kill the cylinder...

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch out for that. The thing looks like it's hardly (if ever) been apart before. Even the o-rings on the gas and oil caps and air filter knob look like new. The thing must have been sitting in a nicer garage than mine :) The air filter looks original too, and in good shape. There is a little uneven wear on the bar, so I just flipped it for now...as I'm hesitant to file the bar in case I decide to sell it and the buyer wants it 'virgin'. Should I even be concerned with ruining it's value....and is there even any value to them?
(Yes, the claim is that when introduced in 1968, the power mac 6 was the lightest chainsaw ever made....8.5 lbs fueled up and ready to go.)

Did I mention that these things are loud? The 'muffler' is pretty much just an empty metal box....funny considering today's chainsaw mufflers :)

Thanks

power mac 6

ice storm in minnesota took down my trees.. real mess!
have an power mac 6 Mcculloch from a garage sale..
don't know much about it without a manual..
gas ratio? plug? etc?
sounds normal when I give it a pull with no gas
but need to know how to start it.

I've used chainsaws, but never owned one.

any help apprecieated greatly.

ice storm in minnesota took down my trees.. real mess!
have an power mac 6 Mcculloch from a garage sale..
don't know much about it without a manual..
gas ratio? plug? etc?
sounds normal when I give it a pull with no gas
but need to know how to start it.

I've used chainsaws, but never owned one.

any help apprecieated greatly.

If it's been sitting a while, remove the plug and slowly pull the recoil until the piston is at the top of the cylinder. Pour a capful of oil in the cylinder and let it sit a few minutes. Pull the recoil like normal to blow the oil out. Check to see if it's got spark. If it doesn't have spark, you'll have to access the flywheel and points to clean and set them. As best I can remember, we always ran 32:1 or 40:1 in my grandfather's PM6. I need to get that one running again, I think it was the first saw I ever used.

The first chainsaw I ever ran was my grandfather's Power Mac 6 back in the early 70's. It was stolen at some point and last summer a buddy brought me one he got out of the trash that included the hard case. The only thing wrong with it was the recoil cup issue that many of these have. I repaired with JB Weld. Here is a picture of my grandson holding it, someday it might be the first saw he runs, a neat thought. View attachment 291180View attachment 291181

Steve

thanks everyone

I'll get to this tomorrow..and I bet it fires up, too. It's in pretty good shape and

DER KOMMANDANT

said the guy started it when she bought it.

I'm gonna need it.
front
DSCI0045_zps75c27b5c.jpg
[/URL]
and back
DSCI0049_zps7f7b3037.jpg
[/URL]

my repy didn't show.. perhaps it takes a while?
anyway.. thanks a lot .. I'll check back and see if my post with pics shows up

Twang, your pic posts were stuck in moderation. I got em up for ya now.

What part of MN are ya in? I'm just across the river from the north end of the Cities. Lots of members here from the area, might be some willing to help out if ya need it.

I might have a couple PM6 parts laying around myself, if needed.

I figured that pic mod thing out after I posted the dang pic twice. beg pardon.
My son is in the cities in school, but I'm way over in western MN.

I got the air filter out and cleaned. Been watching them catch that Boston creep, mostly.

I have to figure out the chain tension, too. It hangs loose at the bottom, there must be a tensioner in there.
I have a dremel with chainsaw sharpening. And I think I have some other chainsaw sharpening tools
in the shop.
I want to get it clean.. new oil and gas, air filter, check the plug, make sure the chain is on right, sharp
I may be ignorant but I'm methodical!

you might want to see if it will start before waiting until you're going to use it. it may need to be tinkered with and better to see now before you make plans to use it.

yep. In fact, I know this isn't going to be able to do the job. so I bought a Husqvarna 18".
should have found this place first and gotten some advice there, but the word was Sioux Falls
was gouging prices on chainsaws after the ice storm, so I went amazon and got a decent price.

I have to wait for the snow and ice to melt.
Get ropes to tie the ladder up to the trees.
I'm figuring on hoisting the saw up by ropes after I climb up and get solid.

and I have to get whatever goop and paraphrenalia that the trees need for healing.

so.. plenty of time to get the saw working and not in killya mode.
read the new manual. probably be back in here for tips on that as well.

I'm going to try to do my own, then do neighbors cheap as heck just to try to offset the saw price
a bit. Probably sell the big one if I can recoup the diff between used and new.

The Mcc. was just for the grapes and bushes and a little branch trimming so if it works out I'll keep it.

I need all this like a hole in the head. Nerve damage to my right hand makes my guitar playing totally suck, but
I can hold a saw if I'm careful and patient.
New shoes helped my gout.
Toothache taken care of tuesday.

happy birthday to me. *L*

I'll be glad to get back in the shop and into my 1935 Coronado radio. Gotta look on the bright side.:angry::bang::laugh:

Back