My smallest gear drive and my favorite Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Reaction score
Photo0072.jpg

Photo0071.jpg

I picked this saw up from craigslist with a little notification from a member here, to the best of my knowledge it is a Super LG 2 Automatic McCulloch. Saw looks good but has some 10-10 parts on it, and it runs like a champ. Info from Acres site.
Model Profile: SUPER LG 2 Automatic

The other one I acquired I took in on trade for a dusty orange saw that liked me working on it more than cutting wood. The Stihl 045 Super is one of my favorite saws, the entire 045 056 series is one of my favorite and it is good to have one again, this one won't get sold, I don't care how much my friend who bought my 045 AV begs. Info from acres site.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/695121ce67af959988256dee001d7811?OpenDocument

Photo0076.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

The McCulloch is running 3/8 chain on a 20 inch hard nose McCulloch bar, and the Stihl 045 Super is running 3/8 skip tooth chain over a 28 inch Stihl bar.
If you haven't heard a 045 Super running look it up on YouTube it is one cool sounding saw.

Last edited:
Couple nice ones Jim.
I had one of those ole 045's
I liked it, Had good power for 87cc's.
I have the Mac Super LG-2 geardrive,
Looks very similar to yours.

Lee

If you haven't heard a 045 Super running look it up on YouTube it is one cool sounding saw.

One of my favorites also. First big saw I was ever given. I put a new top end on it after replacing the case gasket. Doubt it has an hour on it, yet. And that was over 8 years ago. Got a couple 045s, Super, 056, 056 Super, 2 Mag IIs.

The 045 Super is also the reason I always wear ear protection around power equipment. Never had an engine do so much damage to my hearing in one day. Something about the pitch and tone makes me cringe to this day.

Chris B.

Ran the Mac today and all I can say is Holy Smokes, there was no amount of pushing on this thing that would even get the engine to slow down, I can't believe it is only 54cc. I am going to make a video of it because I feel I am not giving it its due with words alone, it is that impressive. I also ran the 045 Super and it performed as it should, zipping through the wood with authority.

The 10 Series gear drive saws are a lot of fun to run. I have one (2-10G?) that really hold the engine speed in the cut.

As I commented in the other thread, I would sure like to see how they fit a 3/8" sprocket to the gear drive saw. Mine came with a 3/8" sprocket nose bar and 3/8" chain...on a .404 sprocket. I found another bar, slim line hard nose to use with .404 chain.

Nice saw, no doubt about it.

Mark

ok time for the video's, sorry they are short my camera girl was cold and did not want to be there so I had to make them fast.

[video=youtube;5KfvTEVnu1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfvTEVnu1k[/video]
[video=youtube;Lk6KINZZers]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk6KINZZers[/video]

Bravo Jim!:clap::clap: Great thread, sweet saw's! Was going to hit you with a rep, but wont let me, say's I gotta spread the love. Thought I alway's do??

Photo0139.jpg

Well I am wrapping up the 075 project so I had some time to mount the second dawg on the 045 super, now it is ready to dig in.

Latest posts

Back